The Rival

Hi folks! How are you? I hope you are enjoying the story so far. As much as I want this book to go to the full swing, it's time we discover the other delightful
Characters too! What's say? Enjoy!

Aaryawati's POV

"Thank you, your majesty for having me at this time." I bowed to my in-laws who were worried about their son. They were seated close to our main Minister, Prashantji.

"Daughter-in-law, you look very stressed. You shouldn't be so stressed out. Everything will be alright." Said my Mother in law Kamaladevi as she lovingly patted my head.

"It is all so sudden. I do not get it, Your Majesty. Why is the King Sanketsingh so hell bent in attacking our kingdom?" I couldn't hide the tone of urgency. It shocked my in laws because I had never showed interest in any of the political matters pertaining to the state. And now I was suddenly demanding the explanation.

Don't get me wrong. Our kingdom Aaryasatta is mighty and powerful. We have made name in trade and commerce all over the world. Our products, especially silk fabrics are in demand since the past 2 decades. Thankfully, my husband had sense to fill me with details about our kingdom even though I rarely showed interest about it (even though in reality, I was all ears). We hadn't waged a single war for half a decade and weren't exactly prepared for the war by the King Sanketsingh of the Sanket Kingdom. Truth to be told, we considered him to be our ally. He attacked us without warning and such surprise attack took us off guard. But why did he attack us all of a sudden? I wondered if there was anything I could do.

"Father in law, why has the King Sanketsingh attacked us all of a sudden?" My desperate tone couldn't escape to the notice of my father in law, the King Damodarveer ji.

"Take a deep breath daughter. Listen, the King Sanketsingh wanted a major stake of our silk production. However the merchants of their kingdom had started defaulting their payments to our silk producers. Therefore we had asked our silk producers to switch back to our old buyers. That irked Sanketsingh and he attacked us without any warning or notice." Said Father in law.

"Don't worry daughter. Aaryaveer is a capable warrior and he possesses a fleet of strong army. " my father in law tried to console me. However looking at the face of our minister Prashantji, I knew that such consolation was empty. There was threat in the air, I could smell it.

"Can't we do anything about it?" I asked directly to Pranshantji. My tone couldn't mask my panic.

He sensed that his facial expression gave away the fact that the situation was indeed critical. He looked away from me. After a few moments of awkward silence, he spoke up,

"King Sanketsingh's army has almost reached our border. However the river Shakuntala (that is located on our borders) has managed to stop them for a while. It is due to the storm that the river has a heavy flow. Once the storm ends, they will commence their attack by breaching our borders. Aaryaveer and his army are planning to set up their base on the other side of the river. I wonder they will reach by tomorrow. As for your question, I apologise your majesty, there is nothing we an do about it." He looked straight into my eyes and I got my answer. Tears involuntary adored my cheeks.

"Daughter, why don't you go to your chamber? I shall ask the maids to send you the lunch now." My mother in law couldn't see me in distress and almost ordered me to leave the stressful environment.

I almost run towards my chamber and closed the door as soon as I stepped in. And then sat with my back facing the door. I couldn't stop my tears flowing like the Shakuntala river.

I looked at the empty unkept bed. And the memories of smooth skin, hungry kisses, comforting cuddles, fulfilled desires swept my mind and made me realise how lonely I was without him.

Then I saw something unusual.  I saw a beautiful rose on the table beside my bed. With a letter that lovingly stated:-

"My darling Aaryawati,

I promise I will come to your arms the day I win the battle. Do not worry about me. Please keep smiling. I would rather die than see you miserable.

Only yours,
Aaryaveer"

I clutched the letter to my heart and decided to take some action. I couldn't just sit idle and watch my husband fight with the fate.

After hours of planning, replanning and contemplation, I decided to implement my plan as soon as possible.