new year - hyuckil

Ship: Hyuckil (Haechan/Donghyuck and Taeil)

type: fluff

AU: Roommates

length: 530 words

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Taeil?" Donghyuck calls into the apartment he shares with his roommate (and boyfriend) Moon Taeil as he shrugs off his coat, shoes and scarf.

"I'm in here, Donghyuck." A calm voice answers from the living room. Taeil is sitting on the floor with a book. He's dressed in a fuzzy sweater that looks sophisticated but comfortable.

"It's starting to snow pretty hard, do you want to open the New Years' presents now?" Donghyuck asked.

"Mhm. I think you'll like your presents this year." Donghyuck looks up at Taeil and tilts his head questioningly. Taeil shakes his head and hands Donghyuck a box wrapped in silver paper.

"Open it." He does as he's told and lets out a gasp when he sees what it is.

It's a small scrapbook titled "This Year, I'll Give It To Someone Special." There's pictures of everything they did together that year.

That time they went to the concert, the time Taeil dragged Donghyuck to the bookstore with him, when the two of them went on a beach trip. Everything.

"Taeil..this is amazing, there's no way you'll like your gift half as much as I like this. I'm sorry." Donghyuck gazes at him and Taeil holds it for a moment before rubbing his head.

"I'll love anything you get me." He tells Donghyuck in his soft, musical voice.

"Okay..Open mine, then." He reluctantly hands Taeil the small box.

"I hope you like it." Taeil takes the paper off, meticulously. When he pulls out the gift, his caramel eyes sparkle.

"Oh Donghyuck..these are so beautiful." The silver necklace with an agate inlaid. The earrings with a small Gemini symbol. "Our birthstone." Taeil breathes.

"I..I thought of you when I saw them, that day at the mall. That's what I was hiding." Donghyuck admits. Taeil hugs Donghyuck.

"I love them. Thank you so much." Donghyuck cuddles into Taeil.

"I'm glad you like it." Taeil gently pulls back. "This year I have an extra present."

He gets up and comes back with a small box. "This is for the both of us." Donghyuck opens it, revealing a small collar. Donghyuck is looking up at him confused.

Taeil then reveals a beautiful golden retriever puppy. "Happy New Year, my adorable Donghyuck." Donghyuck carefully accepts the puppy from his boyfriend's arms.

"She's so tiny, Taeil.." He whispers. "I love her."

Taeil chuckles a bit. "I hoped you would." The two boys sat on the floor and enjoyed themselves with their new puppy.

Donghyuck smiles and whispers in Taeil's ear.

"Happy New Year. I love you." Taeil simply replies with a kiss on Donghyuck's nose and a smile.

"I love you too. Here's too another year with my beloved." The two boys were wrapped in each other's arms as Taeil kissed Donghyuck as the clock struck twelve.

A real New Year's kiss.

This was his first, and for the first time in a long time, he could hope that maybe, just maybe, it wouldn't be his last.

Taeil gave him that hope for the new year, and that was the best gift that Donghyuck had ever recieved.

This new year, Donghyuck thought, would be the beginning of the start of his life. For real this time.