WAKANDA

M'Baka bashed another Outrider -- the ground game had improved considerably with the audition of the God of Thunder. His tribesmen were equally successful around him.

"Mayefa!" M'Baku yelled.

"Ya Hu Hu!" the Jabari warriors answered.

Thor was in the air, using Stormbringer on the Outrider drop ships which were retreating. He was having considerably more success than the Wakandan Dragon fliers firing on the fleeing ships.

Wanda, landing as she finally located Vision, asked, "Are you okay?" Vision flinched in pain before he could answer. "What? What is it?"

"He's here," Vision told her.

The wind picked up, feeling eerie.

"Everyone, on my position," Steve ordered. "We have incoming." He was joined by Black Widow, Falcon, Okoye and Black Panther in short order.

"What the hell?" Natasha questioned.

Bruce saw the blue-black clouds of a Space Stone relocation just before Thanos stepped forward, and confirmed what he was seeing. "Cap. That's him."

"Eyes up," Steve instructed. "Stay sharp."

Bruce reached Thanos first, lunging fist-first -- but Thanos used the Space Stone on him, rendering him immaterial until the Hulkbuster was half-buried in the stone of the cliff behind him, and froze Bruce in place.

Captain America was sent flying by purple energy before he even got to strike a single blow.

Black Panther, armor fully charged kinetically, leapt high and with claws extended, but was easily grabbed by the throat and punched to the ground, his armor discharging violently.

Falcon stooped, strafing with both Steyr pistols, but was felled when his wings became rubbery and unable to sustain flight.

"Wanda," Vision called. "It's time."

"No," Wanda argued.

"They can't stop him, Wanda, but we can. Look at me. You have the power to destroy the Stone."

"Don't."

"You must do it. Wanda, please. We... are... out of time."

"I can't."

"Yes, you can. If he gets the stone, half the universe dies."

"I-"

"It's not fair. It shouldn't be you, but it is."

"It's all right. You could never hurt me..."

"I just... feel you." She extended a trembling hand and started beaming her energy at the Mind Stone.

War Machine joined the fight, firing his guns at Thanos until he used the Gauntlet to crush his armor around him and tossed him aside.

The Winter Soldier ran in firing, and was punched away by the Power Stone.

Okoye activated the Vibranium-powered elements on her spear and flung it; Power stopped it inches from Thanos, and threw her and it aside while wrapping Black Widow in inescapable bands of earth.

Groot stabbed his hands into the ground to wrap Thanos in cables of roots, which he broke easily.

Scarlet Witch watched over one shoulder, then turned back to Vision to add her left hand to her tearful effort.

Captain America slid under one blow and came up swinging his deployed arm-shields, punching Thanos in the gut and chin. He grabbed the Gauntlet, keeping Thanos' fingers unclenched. Thanos looked briefly impressed at Captain America's efforts as he screamed before slamming a fist into his head and rendered him insensible.

Scarlet Witch looked over her shoulder again and saw Thanos approaching unopposed. She swung her left hand around to fend him off with a stream of scarlet energy, and pushed him back despite his blue-purple energy shield, but then began making headway.

Vision softly said, "It's all right. It's all right. I love you."

At those words, the yellow Mind Stone finally started to crack. Vision's face was overcome by an expression of joyful peace, and as the crystal fragments shattered, a pulse of yellow energy exploded from him, shuddering the trees for numerous meters around his epicenter. Wanda's and Thanos' energy subsided.

Thanos walked closer to Scarlet Witch and said, "I understand, my child. Better than anyone."

Wanda snarled and retorted, "You could never..."

Thanos reached down stroke her hair comfortingly. "Today, I lost more than you can know. But now is no time to mourn. Now... is no time at all." He reached forward, clenching the Gauntlet, emerald filigree surrounding his wrist, making a gesture very similar to that Doctor Strange made when activating the Eye of Agamotto. In response, a bead of yellow light started gathering in on itself as time was reversed and grew in size, solidifying into an intact and conscious Vision.

"NO!" Wanda cried, lunging for Vision and was swatted away.

Thanos picked up Vision by the throat, lifting him to eye-level, and dug the fingers of his right hand into Vision's forehead, digging out the Mind Stone. He pulled it loose, and Vision went limp and colorless; he tossed the lifeless android aside like trash. Bringing his Gauntleted hand up, he slowly moved the Mind Stone over the last empty setting, and dropped it in. The energy surge was much more than any previous -- his torso was wreathed with iridescent static and he bellowed from the sensations.

As Thanos studied the completed Gauntlet, a massive bolt of lightning struck him, digging him into the ground and ground him back for meters. Thor arrived, eyes glowing with power, stooping down from the sky like a bird of prey. The God of Thunder paused his attack, reversed his position, raised Stormbreaker above his head and hurled it -- Thanos fired the whole might of the Gauntlet against it, but it only created a rainbow-like bow-shock, not slowing the ax as it slammed right into Thanos' chest.

Thor landed in front of Thanos, who was down on one knee and hatefully said, "I told you. You'd die for that!" He took hold of the back of Thanos' head and forced Stormbreaker deeper into his chest, staring angrily into his eyes while Thanos cried out in pain.

Thanos said weakly. "You should have... you..." He suddenly grew stronger. "You should have gone for the head!" He raised his Gauntlet to snap his fingers.

"No!"

---

Thanos, seemingly in the Soul Stone, saw a child and the pavilion from the home world of the Zen-Whoberi.

"Daughter?" Thanos called.

The child turned around; it was Young Gamora.

"Did you do it?" Young Gamora asked.

"Yes," Thanos replied, looking down.

Young Gamora paused a beat. "What did it cost?"

Thanos' tone was solemn. "Everything."