Mary Poppins

The bell chimed as she entered the café. Rather than a cafe, it was a brightly lit cave with a stretched-out shade. If the place could be a person, Soho thought, it would be Mary Poppins. Ancient and oddly smiling. The little shop was decorated with lights, their gleam reflected against the snow outside, drawing its name 'Bovell's Brewed' on the pristine silver spread. The people inside were sipping on hot cocoas and teas. Children seated beside their absentminded guardians, scratching on the table with the backs of spoons or hanging their pink tongues out having burnt them on their drink.

The chill had gotten to Soho's spine, her skin was freezing like shafts over the bones of her fingers.

She fumbled around her neck but she felt nothing. Nothing but a quick zap and a numbing calm. Limping, she made her way to the front desk while the people in the café stopped blinking.

"Holy hell, what happened to your cheek?", Kelly rushed towards her, holding a hand to her chest, "You look like you've been hit by a bus or something"
She pulled out some tissues from a holder off a customer's table and dabbed it on the corner of Soho's lips that was dribbling  a thin stream of blood.

The customers began whispering among each other stealing glances at the young girl's bruised face. Her cheek was puffed and red with webs of vessels travelling to her left eye. The eye was bloodshot, her dark iris mingled with the deep red clotted in her white. Her clothes were soiled, frayed in places, only her woollen jacket held on clinging to one of her shoulders.

Soho tried to smile but when the pain began creeping in, so she decided against it. She let go of Kelly's arm.
"I can go", she muttered. She gave Kelly a heavy nod and dragged her feet to the changing room.

After closing the door Soho sank to floor. She held her face in her palms and started weeping. Memories of what had happened rushed to her mind. 

She did not intend on encountering him in the alley. She intended to walk past the dark corridor like she did not see it and before long she would be at the cafe. But she knew he would find her, that he would drag her into that sliver of darkness. 

Soho hit her head on her knees, as her tears stained forehead pressed against her jeans. She should have never borrowed money from Clive. 

"Are you okay in there, darling? Would you like me to get you something?", Kelly knocked on the door. 

"Fine. I'm fine"

"You will tell me if you need something, right?". Kelly patted on the door with her lips pursed and left.