Part Ten

There was one thing that all the bosses of the crime syndicates across the globe could agree on; that they needed to be feared; perhaps further than feared, maybe they needed to strike true terror. It wasn't just their enemies who would warn each other and slip stories to their underlings about encounters. The public, too, had to be fearful of them speaking stories of them like they were ghouls in the night. Perhaps the most crucial group to heed this fear would be their subordinates.

If they didn't have genuine fear of ramifications from their soldiers, they would leave themselves open to all types of vulnerabilities. It would leave them exposed to the cops coaxing all their secrets that they were privy to, or it could even leave them open to an attack made on their life from some lucky little punk who wanted to climb the ladder too quickly. It kept Bucky and Steve up at night, thinking about how their own men could soon turn against them, the line between fear and loyalty was difficult to traverse, but they did.

Of course, there were always those who didn't and wouldn't fear them. There was no way that Steve feared Bucky or vice-versa. They'd had their share of physical and verbal fights, but neither of them was worried that they would commit the unforgivable crime of betrayal. Then there was Natasha and Sam too, they respected their bosses immensely, but they didn't hold that fear for them, in far too deep they'd never go against the family now, too many roots, too many complications. No, they were the types that would be loyal to the icy, bitter and bloody end – they were the types that they needed more of.

Typically, the new soldiers would have this unabashed confidence, thinking that someday they might take over leading, whereas they were more likely to end up in a casket. One of these new recruits was Jack Rollins, who begged for the gang's help when dealing with a little money issue initiated by Sam and was given a simple drop job – take this thing and put it there, then walk away. It was easy, and Jack did it without any problems or questions. He was looking to be a promising recruit until he verbally disrespected Natasha. It hadn't been something she was willing to accept, so she left him in a bloody heap at one of the safe houses, something that Steve had heard about and wanted more information about.

"The guy was an asshole," Natasha spoke with an unwavering air of confidence, the look on her features stony and stoic as usual. "Kept leering at all our female recruits. I told him to knock it off, he was being creepy, and he told me to mind my own business and that he wasn't going to take orders from some ginger bitch..." Then scowling as her bruise's hands tightened into fists again. "I warned him, told him to watch his mouth, and he just laughed. So, I broke his jaw." She followed her final statement with a shrug, as if she was reading off her shopping list, something mundane, not that she had brutally injured another human.

"Y'did more than break his jaw, Nat," Steve smirked as he leant back in his car, picking up the medical report that Sam had produced for him. "His jaw, nose, collar bone, three of his fingers." His eyes scanned the page and then turned his gaze back towards the redhead. "I agree – the guy was an asshole." Steve reasoned with sheer loyalty to his voice. "My problem is that we haven't heard from this guy since Strange fixed him up." Tilting his head then, Steve attempted to appeal to the more human side of Natasha. "Can you see why that makes me a little nervous? This guy could go to the cops or could be planning something stupid..."

Natasha simply frowned, crossing her arms over her chest, making the leather jacket she was wearing groan at the movement before finally submitting. "Yeah. I get it..." About to stand up. "I'll find Rollins-" "That isn't what I'm asking." Steve held up his hand to cease any further movement from Natasha. "I'm thinking that maybe you should head out of town for a few days whilst we try to figure out if there are any potential threats." Sensing that Natasha wasn't truly accepting this offer, Steve continued. "Just take Bruce and lay low for a while. Hell, take the jet if you need it." He offered then, knowing it would have to be something he would need to explain to Bucky later.