Chapter 27: Fractured Mirror

We're all brought to a building that I don't know the purpose of. It's not an abandoned building. Not by the looks of it. It looks too new and modern to already be left to rot. Plus, there's the fact that I can hear the humming of the AC and see the sharp glow of fluorescent lights.

I follow Enji into the building as I carry Rui in my arms. Behind us is Shino. I am escorted through a variety of doors and taken a few floors down by an elevator. When the doors open, I follow them down another hall until we come to a set of metal doors.

They look heavy and sturdy. Definitely, as if they're designed to keep people out...or to keep people in. I guess I'll figure out which here soon, though I'd be lying if I said I'm not nervous because I am. I'm anxious and scared. Though a majority of me believes Shino and Enji, there is still a small snippet of me that doesn't really know what to think or believe.

Rui holds tightly to me and in turn, I hold tightly onto her. I can tell she's just as unsure as me. The tension in her little body tells me that, but I'm trying. I'm trying to project this aura of calmness. If not for me, then for her. She's been through so much. I don't want to toss her into even more.

Enji comes to a keypad and inserts a code, causing the doors to slide open. "Alright. Please, come in here and make yourself comfortable."

I follow him in and am surprised when I see several people already in here – all mainly faces I have seen before. The other children who had been rescued alongside Rui and their families. They are all situated in makeshift "rooms" – mainly blankets strung up by some kind of line. I can hear their guardians whispering and mumbling, but I suspect the kids were sedated to bring them here given their reactions to everything they've been through. Understandable, of course.

But something else catches my attention. In the far corner, away from the children is another makeshift room with a woman sitting up in her bed. She is looking out, watching everything as her hair, which is disheveled and blonde, falls alongside her heart-shaped face. Her eyes are open, though appear empty and hollow, almost as if all the light has drained from her.

I stare at her, suddenly drawn to the sadness in her eyes. I don't know who she is. She is far too old to be a child of a victim. But that's when it clicks.

She is a victim. She is one of the survivors. She is one of the few to survive Clay's heinous acts. She is like me, but in so many more ways.

Even from here, I can see the healing bruises and cuts that plague her face and body. Drains and tubes run from under her gown, hinting that they must have transported her from a hospital.

She sees my staring and turns away, lying back down, facing away from her "room's" opening. I just swallow and carry Rui into one of the empty units as instructed by Enji.

Inside, it's a modest space equipped with two cots. Each cot has a pillow and some blankets and there are two blindfolds.

"Sorry," Enji says. "I know it's not much, but this is the best we could do with the time given. Blindfolds are provided to all the witnesses due to us needing to leave the lights on. Restrooms are in the far corner, and a kitchen is adjacent."

I turn to him. "Thank you... May I ask you something, Enji?"

He nods, "Of course."

"Where are we?"

He looks at me for a long moment before replying, "The new H/P CCG headquarters. It's not up and running yet – not officially to the public – but they've agreed to host TSC witnesses during this mission. This entire room is made of quinque metal, so even if any ghouls figure out where we are, they'll have one hell of a time reaching you all."

The CCG. The Commission of Counter Ghoul. It's a global entity, though I didn't really know it operated in (your home country), let alone H/P. Then again, Enji did say this CCG headquarters isn't officially operating openly. But there's something else.

The CCG is where Juuzou used to work. I remember reading that. And with him being the highest ranking officer in the TSC, I wouldn't find it farfetched for him to call in aid from the CCG.

"I see. How long will we be here?"

"I estimate tonight at the very least, possibly a few days at most," he answers. "Don't worry, though. You and your daughter are safe. Along with this room of quinque steel, this building will be guarded by CCG and TSC officers at all hours."

Security is topnotch, I see. However, all of this is still...a lot. That's the simplest way of putting it. It's a lot. Overwhelming. Nauseating. Just...too much.

But as I look down at Rui, I know I need to hold it together. This little girl is scared and looking to me to know she is safe. So, I breathe out the stress and pull myself together.

"Thank you, again," I say, looking directly at Enji. "Really, thank you."

A gentle smile bends his lips. "Just doing my job, ma'am."

With that, he turns and exits our space, just leaving Rui and me to ourselves. I set her on one of the cots and look at her.

"We're staying here tonight, Rui bug," I tell her, smoothing some of her flyaway hairs.

She glances around. "Here?"

"Yeah. Here, but only for a little bit."

She continues to look at our little "room" before climbing back into my arms. "I don't like it."

I cradle her. "I know, baby, but it's just for now. Just for a little."

"Mmm. I want Juuzou."

I suck in my breath. Truth be told, I want him too. I want him here, walking me through what's going on. I want him to reassure us – to brighten the atmosphere. I want him here and not out there. I want him...

"I know," I whisper against her head. "I know, but he's working right now. Right now...he's gonna catch the bad guys. Juuzou's gonna catch the bad guys."

I swallow that lump in my throat and hold my child, rocking the two of us on the cot until I hear her soft snores and I realize why I had been so fixated on that woman.

I had been one step away from being her.

**Bello lovelies! Well, didn't crank out three chapters today, but one is better than none! That said, all the current victims are gathered at the CCG headquarters while the TSC carries out their mission. Nervous? Just stay tuned! I have been on a ONE OK ROCK binge for the last few days and have been finding it difficult to type without listening to their music. It's just so good. Are there any bands/musicians you enjoy listening to when you're doing a task? Anyway, thank y'all so freakin' much for everything! Y'all are coolio! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross

P.S. This Friday (9/23/2022) will be the last day to submit any questions for the Q&A!