Fourteen ~ Julia

I stayed in bed for most the week. When Gloria asked about our weekly meeting Wednesday, I just sent her a text telling her I was busy. Lies. Busy wallowing in bed. I wasn't sure if I was more upset about Ryan, Kayla, or both.

A knock came on the front door. I decided to ignore the front door, but whoever was at the front door was ignoring me ignoring them. They rang the doorbell next and when that failed my phone rang. Gloria's name was on the screen which caused me to groan. I admitted defeat as I answered the phone. "Hello?"

"Come open the door," she hissed.

"I'm not at home," I lied looking over at the clock. It was ten in the morning.

"Yes you are. I see your car in the driveway."

I sighed heavily. "Fine. Here I come," I grumbled before hanging up. My feet felt heavy as I dragged them to the front door to let Gloria in.

When the door opened. Gloria stood there with her arms crossed and unsatisfied look on her face. "Care to tell me why you ditched our weekly meet up yesterday?" she said as she pushed her way into the cottage home. I took a deep breath as I closed the door behind her and followed her in the kitchen. It was obvious she was jumping in feet first. So, I figured I better get a cup of coffee.

"I'm sorry," I began as I made my way over to the coffee maker to make some fresh coffee. "I just have been trying to make sense of things for the past few days and lost track of time. So, by the time you contacted me, I wasn't in the mood to go anywhere. And I was too embarrassed to admit it." I looked over to her and gave her an apologetic smile. "Would you like some coffee?"

"Um, sure. What do you mean you have been trying to make sense of things? What happened?"

"Well, you were right about everything." Gloria threw me a questioning look and I decided to answer her silent question. "I caught Kayla and Ryan screwing in my guestroom all because they thought Alex and I had a thing for each other," I mumbled giving her the shorter version.

"Alex?"

I nodded. "Kayla's ex boyfriend. I guess she's been having a suspicion that I have wanted him since they broke up." I rolled my eyes at how ridiculous that sounded. "To think, I was the one helping her keep her relationship intact and I was the one who went the extra mile to try and get the two back together."

"It's not your fault." I stole a glance at Gloria who looked worried.

I knew it wasn't my fault. However, I wondered what else she would do once she figured out I was going to the water park tomorrow with Alex and Aimee. "I know, but maybe I should cancel tomorrow." I said pouring two cups of fresh hot coffee.

"What's tomorrow?"

I walked over to the dining table and place the hot cup in front of Gloria before taking a seat myself. "I'm supposed to be going to the water park with Alex and Aimee for Aimee's birthday." A grin spread across her face as I made my coffee to my liking. My eyebrow arched as I looked at her. "What?"

She shook her head. "Nothing," she said before taking a sip of her coffee. "I just think you should go."

"I don't know."

Gloria snorted. "He's probably already told the little girl you are coming. It would be very unfortunate if you broke that little girl's heart."

She was right. Aimee was the innocent party in all this mess. No matter what was going on between me and Kayla, I couldn't let her heart Aimee. She had already been through a lot. "Maybe you're right."

Her grin only grew bigger. "Besides, Alex could be the perfect distraction from Ryan and Kayla."

I eyed her. "There's nothing going on with me and Alex."

"Not yet," she replied in a soft sing like tone. Her eyes darted away breaking eye contact as she took another sip of her coffee.

I rolled my eyes. "You're something else. I'm not going to date my ex friend's ex boyfriend." I shook my head before bringing the cup up to my lips.

She shrugged. "You never know. She did break the girl's code. Besides, the girl's code doesn't even apply to you anymore since you aren't friends with her anymore." I decided not to reward her with a response. "So, what are you going to wear to your date tomorrow?" I could hear the teasing in her voice.

"My swimsuit, obviously," I told her.

Gloria's eyes narrowed. "Thanks Sherlock. I meant what type of swimsuit."

My eyebrow rose as I looked at her confused where she was going with this line of questioning. "I have a black one piece tucked away in my dresser."

Gloria groaned. "You mean that plain black swimsuit you wore last year to the kid's field trip?"

"Um, yeah. Why?"

Gloria shook her head. "Nope. That's not going to do. We need to have an emergency shopping trip today."

I was still confused. "What do you mean that won't do? I'm pretty sure it still fits and will work fine going to the swim park tomorrow."

She looked at me like I was the one not making sense. She sighed softly before explaining to me what she was going on about. "It would work if we were taking the kids out to the swim park again this year. However, this time you have a man to impress. So, that will not do."

I rolled my eyes once more. "I do not have a man to impress," I mumbled. "He's just a friend."

"Uh huh," was all she said as she got up to put her cup in the sink.

"Seriously. We are just friends. He has been a great friend since you both saved me from my ex fiance."

"All I said was uh huh," she said with her teasing tone coming back in play. She leaned her palms against the dining table as she met my gaze once more. "Sounds like your trying to convince yourself more than me."

I shook my head. "Whatever. I don't need a new swimsuit," I said sticking to my guns.

Gloria didn't move and her smile didn't die. "Come on. Let's go shopping today for swimsuits. It's the least you can do to make up for ditching me yesterday."

I swear she was relentless. "We can go look at swimsuits," I told her sticking firm.

Gloria smile only deepen. "Good. I'm sure we'll find something. I need to get a new swimsuit anyway."

She had once again drew the wool over my eyes. "What do you need a swimsuit for?"

"Well, I'm going with you tomorrow of course. Someone has to give you guys a hand with the kids so you two can have a little romance time," she cooed.

I shook my head. Today was going to be a long day and tomorrow was going to be even longer.

A/N: Do you have a friend like Gloria? Or do you wish you did?