Chapter 1

I am Destiny of The Endless, and I am the personification of destiny, the oldest of the Endless. In my hand, I carry the Book of Souls, chained to his right wrist as I walk the trail of eternity. The book contains all things--past, present, and future, and your world is merely one of infinite possibilities in an infinite Multiverse. I leave no footprints, nor do I cast a shadow.

From now until the end of days, I continually walk the maze-like paths of the Garden of Forking Ways. I stand at the last outpost of existence, where all form and meaning surrender to the Overvoid. My book is my sigil in the gallery of the Endless. Although I am blind for I know all there is to know and because of that, I have long blurred the line between knowing and seeing.

One event leads to another, one point in time spawns infinite branches of possibility--it is all written in my book, as it should be...until now...when the impossible became possible. Something else--something alien...a probe from non-existence was extending into the Omniverse, tasked with mapping out the horrors of the tiny flaw on the face of perfection.

For the first time ever, I felt fear and I hesitated to turn to the next page in my book...but I did anyway for it is my duty. Perhaps we should start at the very beginning...with perfection, with the Monitor-Mind...

Previously, there was Monitor-Mind only. A vast, unparalleled, and unlimited intelligence that is the one, and the many, the nothing and the all, both a singularity and a void of non quantifiable dimensions that had no beginning nor an end. A span of absolute perfection.

Then a flaw is found at the heart of Monitor's perfection--a flaw that is everything perfection is not. Defining its relationship to the flaw, the immaculate perfection names itself Monitor-Mind the Overvoid.

The Monitor-Mind makes a concept to contain the flaw--a vast, uncanny bottle to capture the flaw and prevent its spread. His examination reveals within, terrifying, unforeseen complexities and contradictions. Magnification reveals a structure of infinitesimal rippling manifolds and countless dimensions upon whose surface, intricate germ-like processes thrive and multiply.

For study, Monitor-Mind brings forth Science Monitor Dax Novu, a lesser version of himself, designed to blend with its surroundings, and map out the flaw. Dax Novu selflessly enters the flaw and secures contact with the concept of "existence"...

In the third dimension, in a minute universe, in a tiny spiral galaxy, which contained a tiny solar system, in which a beautiful blue planet orbited a relatively small star, the full moon was rising over a small village that would later be known as Mystic Falls, Virginia. The bright, white sphere in the sky illuminated the shadowy grass lands below.

The occasional hooting of an owl and the howling of a fox can be heard in the distance. The wind was gentle, the air was sweet, and skies were only mildly cloudy. In the middle of a vast, overgrown field, two brothers, one of them almost 20, and the other a mere 13, were moving swiftly through the overgrown wildlife.

They hid behind bushes, and ducked beneath the tall grass as they scouted the parameters of their village, hoping to see the sight their father had warned them was forbidden; they were there to see the men of a neighboring tribe turn into wolves under the full moon, but what they were about to see will be far more than what they bargained for.

"Klaus!" The younger brother whispered, "I think I heard something! Is it the wolf-men?"

"Quiet Henrik." The older brother named Klaus whispered back, "our mother and father warned us, these people are extremely dangerous once they have transformed. We must be careful!" In the distance, they could see the dark clouds swirling under the moonlight, the beginning of a funnel starting to form. A bright blue light in the center of the funnel illuminated the clouds.