Chapter 13: I need to tell you something.

Adhira:

I couldn't remember when I ever came back or fell asleep. But I felt worse than ever as if I were waking up again from being dead. My breaths were shallow and opening my eyes seemed like quite a task. But I just knew that I was in Nyx's arms from the warmth that she radiated.

I just wanted to sleep a little longer but she spoke, "Hey you need to wake up. We don't have much time left."

She lifted my back and placed the surface of what seemed like a wooden rim of a bottle, "Open up and drink this."

Unable to lift my eyelids or respond, I opened my lips to taste the liquid. It tasted sweet and rich. I quickly gulped it down and felt a newfound energy return to my body. Once the bottle was empty, I sharply inhaled, shuffled to my side, and placed my forehead against Nyx's frame.

I groggily asked her, "How long was I out?"

"The sun is high up. We hardly have five or six hours left," she murmured. "Do you want some cake?"

I grimaced and told her as my stomach lurched, "I feel like I might puke. Don't mention food for a while."

"You look weak. We need to end this today. You seem to be dying at a faster rate than we thought," she told me the obvious.

I smiled humorlessly, "So, you knew."

She didn't respond to that. I hoped that she changed her mind about mating with me. Surely, the kiss last day was instinctive, probably even a pretense to make me agree with her. I quickly recognized it. Why would she kiss someone like me?

She just sat still running her fingers through my tangled, messy curls. I just couldn't wrap my mind around her behavior. I decided to play my final card.

"I need to tell you something," I spoke up and staggered to stand up.

I felt my eyes droop as I used the last of my strength to stand still, "Nyx, around three years back, the biggest section of trees were chopped off in Northwest America. You lost your parents during that time, didn't you?"

She frowned and watched me intently.

My chest began to hurt as I turned off my emotions. I internally cringed at the ridiculousness of my words, "Nyx, I was one of the people who believed that as humans, we had to make the world suitable for us to live. I was the one who started a petition for those trees to be cut down. Your parents' death... I was a part of it too and rightfully so. And, I loathe you for taking away everything that I had. No matter how much I try, I will always loathe you. I think you deserve the loss of your parents. If you keep me around, I will surely find a way to ruin your Pride's life. Every one of you deserves the worst for every minuscule pain that I feel."

She stood up and towered above me, her eyes glowing blue and pupils turning to slits. Her claws grew long and sharp. Never before had I tried to conceal my fear so desperately. Because I was close to pissing my pants, she looked livid.

"How dare you." She uttered with a terrifying stare, looking close to losing control.

This is it. I achieved what I wanted. Tongue-tied, I could do nothing out of the fear that gripped me. I could not look away as she stalked toward me.

She leaned in as if to kiss me and rested a claw on my cheekbone, "So, what do you want me to do?"

My lips trembled as I uttered, "Just kill-" She swiped her claw across my face and I fell back to the ground clutching my cheek. I felt something wet drip from my face. My hands shook as I saw the flow of my blood drip into my hands.

She squatted on the ground and her whispering voice shook from rage, "You thought you could escape this. Did you think I'd kill you so easily?"

Carlos: