CHAPTER 2

NOCTURNAL - THE BEGINNING OF FRIENDSHIP

"Brooke, wake up! It's already 7 in the morning! You're going to be late for school!"

I guess owning an alarm clock is completely useless when you have a nagging mother who can wake you up in no time.

"I'm up. I'll be down in a second." Or a minute. I'm still sleepy. This room is quite cozy even if I had already turned off the air conditioning.

I slowly opened my eyes and looked out the window. The sun's starting to rise. I thought it's already 7AM? I grabbed my alarm clock on the side table and sighed when I saw the time.

Guess she wanted me to prepare early just like what she does everyday when going to work.

I really hate mornings. They always remind me that I must live through the day and be a productive person who can do significant things in the world.

My concept of life differs from others who knows how to use their time wisely. I suppose that's acceptable since I'm only a teenager.

Slowly, I got out of bed and walked closer to the closet that Mom once owned. The designs of it are still intact. It's as though Ate Ria cleaned it up daily. As soon as I opened it, my new uniform came into view.

"Neat." I picked it up and laid it on top of my bed.

My room has its own bathroom so I don't need to bother going downstairs. Ten minutes and I'm done. My body is completely ready but my mind's still in a daze.

I can't believe we moved in another place, and in a province at that. Never did I imagined myself living far away from the city since I grew up in an urban area where I don't clearly belong.

This is a good thing, I guess. Who cares about me dissappearing anyway? I don't have friends and others doesn't even know I exist. The world is big enough for people to worry about me.

"Dad, things are going to be just fine, right?" Watching how my Dad used to genuinely smile in the picture brightens up my mood.

I stood up and went downstairs. Ate Ria is already preparing our breakfast while Mom's sitting in a high stool chair, calmly drinking her coffee.

"Good morning, Brooke!" Ate Ria greeted and offered me a warm glass of milk.

I smiled a bit and accepted it. "Good morning po."

Mom glanced at me and pointed the table. "Eat up. I'll be going first. Ria, ikaw na ang bahala kay Brooke."

She started fixing her things on top of the island counter. Ate Ria handed me a plate, a spoon, and a fork.

"Opo, Ate Felicity. Ako na po ang bahala kay Brooke. Ingat po kayo!"

Mom simply nodded her head. She took a quick glance at me. I wanted to bid her farewell but I was too late. Her high heels producing a loud sound indicates that she was in a hurry to leave.

"Kumain ka ng marami Brooke, ha? Hindi naman sa pagmamayabang pero masarap akong magluto!" She giggled.

I wish my Mom knows how to cook too. She never once made a meal for me or my Dad.

"Itadakimasu." Ate Ria looks puzzled but she didn't say anything.

The breakfast that she had made for me are bacon, sunny side up, soup, corned beef, and fried rice. She's right when she said that she can cook food deliciously.

"Did she eat anything?" I asked while munching the food inside of my mouth.

"Hindi eh. Kumain kasi siya kanina ng oatmeal tapos uminom lang ng kape habang hinihintay ka." She replied.