14. Quick trip to the court house

Standing on my mothers porch I would have turned around if Eddie hadn't been there. Putting a hands on my shoulders and rubbing.
"I'm here. I won't let her say anything crazy to you. You got this."  Reaching forward and ringing the door bell it took a few minutes before some one answered the door. My father, I hadn't seen him since I left. He was starting to grey on the temples and beard.

"Cara. What- what are you doing here?" He eyed Eddie standing protectively behind me. Before I could answer my mother comes to the door.

"Oh it's you. What do you want." Also eyeing Eddie, he takes that moment to put an arm around my shoulder. Out of the corner of my eye I see his forearm flex with tension. The red flannel he wore over top of his hellfire shirt rolled up past his forearms accentuating how strong they were.

"I just come for something that belongs to me. I need my birth certificate."

"Why do you need it?" They both asked at the same time.

"A legal matter that you don't need to know."
"A legal matter. Seeing how your our daughter, I would say we do need to know. What did you get arrested or something." I tensed and Eddie squeezed my shoulder.

"Like I said it doesn't matter to you. Please can I have my birth certificate." Rolling her eyes and huffing she turns and walks back into the house.

"And you are?" My dads says to Eddie.
"I'm Eddie."  Was all he offered up. My
Mom coming back and handing me the paper I came for.
"Thank you. We will be out of your hair for good now. Good bye." I turn and walk away not giving them time to ask anymore questions, Eddie sliding his hand into mine.
"You did awesome baby." He said turning slightly and giving them the middle finger between us, causing me to laugh. Next stop was to recruit some witnesses.

                                     Eddie

I don't think I have ever been this nervous in my life. Not performing, or even the Meetings with Geffen Records.
I beat Cara to the courthouse, I had dropped her off at her apartment to get ready and pick up Max and Will. I headed to the trailer to grab my birth certificate and Wayne. Robin and Steve met us there. I couldn't stop pacing the sideway or pulling at my rolled sleeves of my black button down dress shirt.

"Eddie you look like you just ran a mile. Don't be so nervous. She wouldn't have said yes if she didn't want to do this." Steve said grabbing my shoulders.

"Maybe you should take a walk and." Robin trailed off and made a "smoking" gesture, causing me to roll my eyes.

"Yea robin toking before going into a court house where cops and judges are, not the best idea." I say flatly and start pacing again.

Where is she? Did she change her mind?

"Yea I guess not. Does Cara know you, well you know." I stop and look at her and laugh.
"Yes she know. She used to do it too before she got pregnant with Will. And I don't when Will is around." I replied and robin nodded saying "that's smart"

"I think she changed her Mind. And I don't blame her. I could barely graduate. I'm going into the rock n roll life. That's not family friendly. God I've been so stupid." Wayne stood up from the open doors of the van.

"Steve, robin why don't you take a walk and head inside." They listen to the older man and walked away.
"Eddie sit down."  Looking at the man who raised me for the last 12 years hesitating before listening.

"Talk about it kid. What's bothering you." He said sitting down next to me. Taking a long time to gather my thoughts before speaking.

"What if she regrets this down the road. We're young. We were raised on opposite sides of the tracks. What if this California thing doesn't work out. What if We don't make it big? I don't want to mess this up. I don't know if I'm good enough for them."

"Kid, you have a heart of gold. Ever since you were little it didn't matter what was going on. You saw things others missed, and would go out of your way to comfort people, protect people.
Even when the worst things where happening, you didn't care that town had turned their back on you. You still almost sacrificed your life to save everyone you could. Your a hero,kid. Plus your making something of your self. Not just sticking around this town, causing trouble like your dad did. You actively go against anything he was about. He wanted to be handed a better life on a platter. Your willing to work for it. All those long hours guitar lessons and practice. Three senior years yet your never gave up. Those two to are lucky to have you, You go out of your way to be a dad to some one who doesn't share your blood. To protect that little boy, Make him feel loved. You would bend backwards to show that girl the love and affection others deny her. You are willing to be more then her protector but her partner and i can see how much she loves you every time I see her, her eyes shine when it comes to you. She thinks the world of you, son.
Now I'll only say this once. It doesn't matter where you were raised, but how you were raised. Look at Those people in that fancy house, they turned there backs on that girl. I'm proud of the man you have become. Who your becoming. Life may throw you curve balls and it might not always be easy. But I know with her at your side. You'll knock it out of the park." Tears heated my eyes and I turned away trying not to let them fall.

"Geeze Wayne coming in with a tacky sports reference."  I say with a laugh trying to ease tension, slyly wiping away a tear. Turning back to him I say, "thank you for everything uncle Wayne. Your the best dad I could of asked for." Leaning in and giving him a hug with two sharp pats on the back.

A honk pulls me away from the moment, to see two cars pulling up. Spilling out of the first car Dustin, max, Lucas, Erica, El, Mike and the older Will.

"You almost go away with this. Max spilled the beans, like we would miss this." Dustin says running up to me and hugging me quickly.
"Sorry we were just doing this kind of spur of the moment before we left."  I explained as I hug the rest of the group. A car door slam catches my attention.

There she was. Looking beautiful in the setting sun, her long curls cascading around her shoulders and a smile brighter then the sun.
My jaw dropped when I saw she was wearing short white dress that hung off her shoulders, the arms see threw and flowy, but cinched at the wrists. She was a beautiful maiden from a fairy tale.  I didn't even know my feet had carried me to her till I leaned down and kissed her.
"You look so amazing."

"Thank you. You look pretty handsome too." Standing on her toes and Sneaking another kiss.
My attention to her was only broken by some one climbing into my arms. Giving me no choice but to hold him, mad that I hadn't greeted him yet.
"Hey buddy." Kissing the top of his head.
"You sure about this?" I ask her and her smile grows.

"Are you kidding? I'm so excited. Marrying my best friend. Let go!" She bounced on her toes, beaming.