21. Tour bus & a toddler

Since Eddie had another two weeks of touring before his next break we decided that Will and I would come on the road for a week before flying home. Gareth and Jeff were all for the idea. I was nervous, long rides with a toddler, sent shivers of fear down my spine. When he was a baby we did ok. He slept a lot, but now as a rambunctious toddler. I was scared stiff. I could see the tantrums that were heading our way. Eddie was confident that it would all be ok.

The tour bus more like an RV then an actual tour bus. Small and cramped but Jeff and Gareth said that we could have the "master bed" at the far back of the bus. It was usually rotated between the guys. I also had my suspicions that they were just happy to have me aboard for the home cooked meals instead of take out or fast food.

Our first day of driving was six hours to Minneapolis. We had also made the smart idea to leave Steve's house the night before so when the bus rolled out at six am sharp, we were still asleep. I don't know if it's the sounds or the movement of the bus but will seemed to sleep later then normal. As for me I couldn't sleep. Walking into the main area of the bus following the smell of coffee.

"Morning Cara. We got coffee and donuts. We figured we wouldn't force you to make us food your first day on the bus." Jeff teased handing me a To go cup of coffee.
"Ugh your guys are the best."

"Yea we know." Gareth flicked open the news paper with a cheeky grin. Opening the box to inspect the donuts, my eyes fell on a maple glazed donut with sprinkles. Grabbing it and walking back to the bed, planning on curling up in the blankets till Eddie and Will woke up.

Seeing in the short amount of time I had been gone Will spread out and currently had one leg across Eddie's throat the other planted firming on his cheek ready to kick at any moment. When I tried to move him over so I could sit back down he did exactly that, Eddie waking up with a grunt.
Pushing the toddlers legs off him he rolls on to his side, mumbling something about "next time bigger bus." Wrapping the blankets back around him. The smell of the coffee must have hit him because he peaks one eye open to look at me.
"Is there coffee?" I nod and point to the direction of the kitchen. The thought temping him but he decided "five more minutes." Before closing his eyes again.

An hour later everyone was up, Will was seated between Gareth and Eddie, as Eddie tried to convince him he needs to eat more then just the icing off the donuts.

"Just icing." He says shaking his head.
"Ok no more donuts till you finish that one." Eddie says closing the box. The cheeky toddler thinks for a moment, I could see the wheels turning in his mind, before leaning down and trying to licking Eddie's bear claw.

"Hey!" The whole bus exploded in laughter as Eddie pull away the donut.

"That's what you get for being the "fun" parent. A soggy donut." I tease. Jeff gets up and goes to the fridge and pulled out a carton of fresh strawberries.

"Does he like strawberries?" He asks handing me the box.

"He loves them. Thanks." I say as I open the box and set them in the middle of the table, watching the toddlers eyes light up. Eddie grabs one and goes to put it in the toddlers out reaching hand but pops it in his mouth instead, Will's jaw drops. Eddie hands him another strawberry and Will laughs. We Spending the next half hour turning it into a game which Will thinks is the funniest thing.

The next 5 hours went surprisingly well for having a toddler contained in a small space and not being prepared by brining any toys. He alternated between drawing with some pen and paper I had or sitting on Eddie's lap as he played guitar. Anytime he did Eddie was trying to teach him different chords, but only being a year and a half I don't know how much stuck.

With the boys heading off to sound check I decide to explore the city to find a grocery store and maybe a playground or something to let Will run off some energy. The grocery store was easy to find. Picking up some grocery to make dinner tonight. The guys always work up an appetite after a show.  I stopped and asked another mother with children where a local playground is. Luckily there was one only two blocks away from the venue and she even asked if she wanted to walk me there and let our children play together for a bit.