✧well-deserved hiatus✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

No Rest For The Wicked- Lykke Li

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

Rowdy chatter and heartfelt laughter from the drunkards that surrounded the bar filled Gwen's ears as they entered the Garrison. The well-dressed Shelby brother pointed to the bar that a blonde barmaid stood behind with a small smile on his face to the trio.

"Anything you want will be on the house like Tommy said. You can sit in the private snug until the contract is written up, shouldn't be too long," the man said kindly as the Stuarts' mood lightened up as the deal was going the way they wanted.

Adrian thanked him and patted John on the shoulder before he bid them goodbye and walked back out the front door of the pub. It was a quaint place with tables dotted around the room and the gold ceiling shining down above the patrons' heads. It was not lavish like the places in London with fancy seating and luxurious drapery but it felt more personal, more welcoming. The boys grabbed a bottle of whiskey and three glasses from the barmaid and made their way into the snug.

It was superior to the rest of the pub, bright red leather booths paired with upholstered chairs and bright gold hardware. The large fogged window permitted light to seep into the small room from a street light on the corner of the cobblestone street. The atmosphere outside was filmy with fog hanging just above the street casting a still but ghostly feeling over the city. The roads were calm, only a few men holding onto the walls of houses as they stumbled along while smoking their cigarettes.

Gwendolyn sat down at the booth and poured herself a generous glass of amber-colored whiskey from the full bottle that sat on the table. She positioned a cigarette between her blood-red lipstick-coated lips and lit it, heavy smoke slithered into her lungs granting her a bit of tranquility after the long journey from London. Silence filled the room as she was left to her thoughts of the past and the history they all had gone through. Visions of her younger self, her happier self giggling about silly things with her co-workers at the candy shop. The Sunday afternoons that she would go to the market with her mother to pick up fresh flowers for the house and fresh berries for the porridge in the mornings.

Her father's gentle demeanor with her as they spent time near the river behind the cottage she once called home, filled with contentment and uncapped love. The wrinkles that flared at the corners of his eyes as he chuckled at the ridiculous jokes she would tell just to hear her father's laughter.

Opaque soot covering his aged work clothes and pronounced fatigue on his face never stopped him from the evening card games with Malachi and Adrian. The sweet scent of wildflowers and rain made the summer night air fragrant as the chorus of crickets sang in the long blades of grass. The small things of the past never could be erased with time, no matter whether she yearned to forget them or not. Some things caused much pain from how history played out for the Stuart family in the end, but other memories were the only thing that proved that her parents and the past were once her reality.