The Wormhole

You just had come home from work. Working in a clothing shop certainly wasn't your dream job, but it had to do for the time being until you could find something that would suit you better. You just had to figure out what that could be.

As you walked home from work, you smelled the delicious food of restaurants you had to pass everyday. They made your stomach rumble violently and again you had no idea what you had to choose to eat for dinner tonight.

After a twenty minute walk, you finally turned the key around that gave entrance to your apartment. You were happily greeted by your red cat Finn. He was all you needed right now. His calls for attention made you commit yourself to him for the next thirty minutes.

You had Finn for five years now. He was something you and your ex-boyfriend adopted as a kitten. Finn had always had the tendency to get into trouble, no matter what kind. It could be from something innocent like throwing the litterbox sand out, to the moments he raced through your apartment and knocked things to the ground.

You were happy that you still had Finn as your companion after you and your boyfriend broke up after a three year long relationship, of which you lived together for one. He told you he was seeing someone else and just left you with nothing. He had put you out of your house with as little as you had, including Finn. You had been struggling to rebuild your life since then, but thanks to Finn and your best friend Iris, you could manage it.

As Finn was finally done asking for your attention, your stomach had started to scream louder and louder. It had become too late to cook something yourself, so you would probably go to get some take-out.

You texted Iris, knowing she was also a late eater at night. "Hey, wanna grab some Thai food tonight?" You texted her and within minutes, you had a reply. "Count me in! I'll meet you at The Thai Spring in twenty!" 

You took a quick shower as you knew The Thai Spring would be a three minute walk from your apartment building. You dressed up with a white sleeve top and a black long skirt, finishing it off with high heels. With just a touch of make-up and wearing your favorite earrings, you were ready to go!

 With just a touch of make-up and wearing your favorite earrings, you were ready to go!

You gave Finn one last scratch behind the ears and stepped out of the door. "I'll be back later tonight, buddy!" You said to him as you shut the door behind you.

Five minutes later, you were already at The Thai Spring. "Good evening, miss. What can I get you tonight?" The waiter asked you. "I will place my order in a few minutes. I'm waiting for my friend." You politely said to him. "Very well! Please let me know when you're ready to place orders." He smiled as he walked off to help other customers.

Two minutes later, you heard a familiar crazy voice speak up to you. "Did you miss me? Of course, you did! You can't live a single day without me." She walked into the restaurant acting like the diva and fashionista she is. You laughed at her behavior, she would always try to make you laugh and you loved her for it.

There she stood. A blondie girl, as she calls herself, with big sunglasses on her nose, wearing a black leather jacket and blue jeans. She had some big name brand shoes on and walked up to you without any signs of shame. 

You hugged her, even though you saw her yesterday. "Of course, I missed you! Like you said, I can't live a day without you." You joked around and you both were laughing and giggling as you always do.

"Alright, let's get ourselves some food!" Iris said a little loud and stepped into the queue, pulling you with her. She had absolutely no shame, while you could sometimes wish the Earth would swallow you and make you disappear. You felt ashamed many times for her.

"Alright, thank you. Next, please!" The waiter said and you were the next in line. "I would like the stir-fried egg noodles with a side of fish cakes." Iris placed her order. "And the other miss?" The waiter wrote Iris' order down. "I'd like the chicken and cashew stir-fry with a side of sweet and spicy cucumber salad." The waiter wrote your order down as well. 

"That's all?" He asked kindly. "Yes." Iris answered. "That would be twenty-five fifty, please." You got your credit card out, but Iris stopped you. "This one is on me today!" She quickly paid the order for you and herself.

"You didn't need to do that!" You told her. "Yes, I do need to do this. You always pay for me. Besides, I think the waiter has an eye on you." She taunted you. You looked at the waiter behind the counter, but he wasn't your type anyway. "Thanks, but no thanks." You whispered to her. 

"Oh, come on! Since you broke up with you-know-who, you have not been on a single date with a guy! It's time you step out of that comfort zone of yours and start living your life again!" Iris tried to push you. "I'm living my life the way I want it! You know you should not force me. I will find someone someday." You settled her down.

"Number 12!" You heard the waiter call out. "That's our order!" Iris quickly made her way to the counter and got your order. "Enjoy!" The waiter said to you both, giving you an extra smile as you left.

You and Iris left to eat your orders out in the park. "Here you go." Iris said as she handed you your meal and side dish. "Thank you, milady!" You joked around as you took your food from her, giving her her beverage.

You enjoyed your food together and talked a lot about everything that happened today. Iris couldn't believe what you told her about your boss making your day at work awful. "It's time that woman learns to respect you! You are the most hardworking person in that store! She has to give you a raise, not smash you into the ground." She got mad and wanted to storm straight into the store you work at to have a word with your boss.

"I appreciate you being like that, but better not do it. I will get into more trouble with her then." You wished your boss would respect you more as well, but she has always been difficult to work with.

"You wouldn't believe who I saw today either!" Iris told you. "Let me guess, you-know-who?" It didn't surprise you she would have followed him to see what he was up to today. "Yes, I did! He was not looking good. He has been going downhill since he broke up with you." She was happy to share the gossip with you, but you had been trying to forget him for a long time now. This certainly didn't help.

"That is his fault then. Besides, you know I do not want to talk about him anymore. I want to move on and I can't do that if I'm being reminded of him every time." You got a little annoyed with her. You had told her many times, but she would begin about him every now and then again. "Oh, come on! I know you want to know gossip." She said stubbornly, so you ignored the topic as long as she would ramble on about it.

It had become late when you said goodbye to her and left for home. Finn was already asleep in the windowsill. You made a picture as he looked at you with his curious, sleepy face and sent it to Iris.

 You made a picture as he looked at you with his curious, sleepy face and sent it to Iris

You decided to cuddle with him a little more before you would go to bed.

As you had picked him up to hug him, you felt something strange was to happen. Holding Finn against you tightly, you were sucked into a wormhole that sent you to somewhere no one would believe you if you'd tell them.