prologue

Amanda stared blankly at the ceiling, the hostel was almost empty as everyone was excited and eager to know who the new miss G F C will be. A painful sigh escaped her lips.

It could have been me out there, all dressed up, representing this hostel and getting all that attention.
She thought, her cheek where rosy and she was trying so hard not to cry.
She could remember senior chioma words clearly.

"Amanda should go for it." The hostel mistress, Mrs Lilian, a dark robust woman had said.
" No no no ma , let Cassandra do it instead. Beauty without brain doesn't work in this stuff ma, but you see Cassandra, she is a definition of beauty with Brain. I'm sure she would make our hostel proud." Senior chioma who was the hostel prefect had chirped in, nonchalantly calling her dumb in front of everyone.

That was a moment she would never forget, a sharp pain sting her heart and her eyes were filled with unshed tears which she tried to blink back but failed miserably as the memory came rushing back. It made sense to her why senior chioma had done that, Cassandra was her school daughter.

" Are you not going for the common wealth whatever? Senior chioma is the one chasing oh." A voice pulled her from her pity party. A chocolate skin girl of average height stood at the edge of her bed.
"Are you crying? What happened to you?"." Uyai asked and moved closer to have a close look at her best friend who was sprawled on her bed with tear stained cheeks.

" Nothing I just feel a bit under the weather." Amanda said turning to face the wall to hide the tears that mercilessly streamed down her face despite her effort to stop them.

" You're not telling me the truth Mandy I know you too well. It's about the common wealth right? You've not gotten over it still." Uyai said.

" She knew this have been my dream ever since I entered this college, what kind of cousin is she?" Amanda said so loud that her voice echoed in the quiet room, not being able to hold in the resentment towards her cousin anymore.
" You have to decrease your voice volume. Senior chioma and other seniors might still be in the hostel." Uyai whispered.
"Well I don't give a damn! They could fuck themselves for all care." Amanda muttered.

" Amanda! Someone could here you, remember walls have ears." Amanda almost gave her the stink eye, she rolled her eyes.
" You're my best friend for heaven's sake, you're supposed to be encouraging me not telling me if walls have ears or not like who cares or are you the wall? Are you planning on snitching on me?" Amanda retorted.

" What are you even saying, why the hell would I do that." Uyai gasped.

"Oh my God!" Amanda sat up holding her head.
"I mean how do expect me to get over it, can't you see she's a bitch! Or maybe a witch yes a witch! Oh my! how could she do this to me." Amanda cried out while Uyai tried to calm her down.

" Mandy you need to calm down." Uyai said softly holding her still.

" I've always known Cassandra to be a bitch, but this oh my God this.... I hate her so much." She broke into sobs and Uyai pulled her into a hug.

"Shhhh is okay, it's not the end of the world you know. Who knows you could even be the next miss world or even miss universe." Uyai joked.

"What's going on here!" An angry senior chioma burst out through the door startling them.

"Ah..emm...I...we.." Uyai stuttered looking at Amanda who rolled her eyes discreetly for help

"Will you cut stammering and tell me what you both were doing in here alone." Uyai eyes widen at the realization of what senior chioma was implying while Amanda looked at her in disbelief.

"Nooo oh, Amanda is my bestie and I was only given her a hug because she wasn't feeling well." Uyai said scrunching up her face. Amanda could only wonder what she ever done to this senior that made her hate her to the extent of going this far to want to ruin her reputation by calling her a lesbian.

"So didn't I chase from this hostel? What are you two still doing here." Senior Chioma said slowly approaching them with a satisfied look on her face. Uyai eyed the broken hanger in her hand and fearfully took a step backwards.

"Senior chioma please we were about leaving." Uyai said with a quivering voice.

"I don't know what is wrong with you S S 2 girls because you're a class behind us you think you can now do as you like." Chioma said walking closer to them her eyes fixed on Amanda who seemed unbothered about everything.

"And Amanda is feeling like a boss because she thinks I can't do anything to her." Senior Chioma let out a sardonic laugh.

"Don't go and focus on writing your WEAC examination, stay here and talk rubbish." Amanda muttered under her breath.

"What did you say?" Senior chioma asked daring her to repeat what she muttered.

"Nothing." Amanda grumbled.
"Leave this children alone abeg, let's go." Senior Boma, the sport prefect who had been standing at the door for quiet some time said.

"Not after I wipe them." senior Chioma said, Uyai who hates being flogged was already sweating.

"Chioma!" Boma called in a warning tone.

"Please Boma stay out of this, is not like she's anything to you, just mind your business."Chioma said sharply.

"Chioma you know..." Boma was cut short by a junior student who ran in giddily.

"Is time! Is time! Is time! They are about to call the winner." That grabbed Chioma's attention.

"Boma come let's go oh, I just pray my baby girl wins." She said running towards the door, Boma rolled her eyes.
Chioma halt at the door and turned to Amanda.
"Don't think I've forgotten about you two." She said pointing at the both of them before exiting the room.

"You see why I told you to reduce your voice, now we've gotten into trouble."Uyai faced Amanda once the seniors were out, Amanda's nose flared at that.

"Are you now blaming me, I mean you had a choice to leave but you didn't, I never tied your legs. Cut me some slack please I'm not ready for your nagging this morning." Amanda spat out and walked away.

"Oh! Amanda, I'm nagging now abi? Is that what you're saying eh." Uyai called after Amanda who was already out of the door. Amanda felt guilty at her words but was just too angry and proud to go back and apologize.

She walked aimlessly with so many thoughts flooding her thoughts and so didn't know when she arrived at the school social Hall.

Students were already trooping out of the hall when she got there, Some the contestant were coming out also. Her heart raced with so much force at the thought of Cassandra winning. She look around frantically searching for a particular dark skin girl in a red dress. The school had five hostels, Niger, Benue, Justice, Democracy and Authority hotels, and she only saw four contestant who were dressed in there respective house colour of blue, yellow, green and purple.

We're the hell is this girl.
She thought.
As if Cassandra could here her thoughts, she walked out in all her glory and on her head was the crown Amanda had always craved for. Amanda heart fell, she felt her head spinning and she could taste her breakfast of noodles and egg coming up her throat. And before she knew it, her feet was taking her away from the painful sight.

Here you go, this is the prologue, I hope you like it. Please don't forget to vote and comments your the
Thoughts I would to know what you think of it. Please share this with your friends and family.
Lots of love from Rexi❤️❤️❤️