Fifth

If there was one thing the town of Tombstone was best at, it was gossiping. It seemed to be an Olympic sports show for the town on that warm and windy evening. Lana had never learned the names of people she had just set eyes on so quickly. The three men that entered the premises went by Johnny Ringo, Curly Bill, and Ike Clanton. They reminded her of a pack of wolves with the way they stalked into the saloon.

Ike was a plump man of small stature, his hair and beard disheveled and slightly grey with age. His very spirit reminded Lana of a small but rowdy pug that lived next door to her family home back in Embell. The comparison between the man and the dog had made her giggle quietly to herself while she reveled in the thought.

Curly Bill was a fitting name for the man and the way he carried himself so wildly. The dark waves of his hair were a mess like the mustache above his lip. Clean-shaven wasn't a word to describe him. He played the leader of the group like a role he wasn't fit for and Lana could tell. But was she the only one?

There was something about Johnny Ringo though. Although he wore a red sash like every other cowboy, he was more dangerous than the rest of them. One could tell just by looking at him. There was a foreboding air about him that drafted like a misty aura around his person. He had dark hair like Curly Bill, his face overtly handsome despite the sweat and grime that coated it. His clothes were a bit more tattered than his companions', but he wore them well. Lana had been staring absent-mindedly like a child in awe. Just as Ike and Curly Bill started to approach the faro table with Ringo not far behind him, he spotted Lana's lingering eye retreating. The expression on his face grew curious and playful. The whole time her arm stood interlocked with Doc's and she felt a tight squeeze come from him. Lana had been so distracted with the newcomers that she hadn't noticed Wyatt signing something for a man who seemed full of genuine gratitude. It appeared to be money. The object of the man's desires was snatched from his hands by Curly Bill.

"Wyatt Earp, huh? Heard ah' you," he said, his tone bored as he gazed down at Wyatt in his seat. Ringo stood at Bill's side, Ike deciding to include himself as leaned over the far end of the faro table towards Wyatt. Curly Bill silently placed a bet with a few chips in the faro game. Wyatt accessed the cards in front of him. He wasn't so easily intimidated.

"Listen now, Mr. Kansas Law-Dog. Law don't go around here. Savvy?" he said. Wyatt seemed slightly amused at Ike's remark, but he kept his composure and spoke candidly.

"I'm retired."

"Good. That's real good," Curly Bill said, his voice dripping with satisfaction from Wyatt's answer.

"Yeah, that's real good, law-dog cause' law just don't go around here," Ike reminded Wyatt. He was close to him and his breath must have had a funny odor with how Wyatt squinted in disgust. He was getting ever more annoyed at the newcomers.

"Yeah, I heard you the first time. Winner to the King, 500 dollars," Wyatt said as Morgan leaned over his brother, placing the money on the table towards Curly Bill. He just laughed and took what was in front of him while telling Ike to shut up under his breath. Ringo was now the one to look bored next to him, his eyes moving from the money to Doc who had remained silent, drinking from his cup again. It was starting to become a familiar sight. The two looked at each other as if edging the other to speak first. Doc had more pride than that, his gaze saying so.

"And you must be Doc Holliday," he said as if he was unsure. He knew damn well who Doc was. Doc cleared his throat before responding.

"That's the rumor."

"You retired, too?" Ringo asked him. A threat?

"Not me. I'm in my prime," Doc answered. He was so obviously drunk, but more than sure of himself, even in the condition that he was in.