Chapter Sixteen

This is surreal.

Ji-pyeong was somehow now standing on her street squinting up at a gray stone building with black trim on a tree lined block of East 92nd Street.

The late afternoon sun was glinting off of his brushed back hair as Mi-Rae looked up at him. Ji-pyeong looked far too elegant for a man taking a day off in his beige linen suit. A white t-shirt seemed to be his only acquiescence to playing hookie. Her eyes traced down to his long fingers which were poised over the handle of his roller bag and attaché.

Han Ji-pyeong was about to move in with her.

"I can't believe you're actually here."

The emergence of a dimple assured her that he was indeed. Ji-pyeong looked down at her, smiling.

"It's good to be here."

His fingers found hers as Ji-pyeong looked back up at the stone facade. For the first time since she had proposed it early this morning, Mi-rae felt a ripple of nervousness. Her building was far from the toniest on the block. But she had fallen in love with its nineteenth century architecture and large bay windows. And it was as far away from Brooklyn as she could get immediately after her divorce. Mi-rae had neither the time nor the down payment to search for anything else since making partner.

It definitely is not a penthouse suite.

Mi-rae stood on her toes to rest her chin on his shoulder.

"I am only renting so if you don't like it, don't worry. We'll buy a place together someday."

Ji-pyeong's mouth dropped open.

"I am not that picky!"

She looked at him and raised an eyebrow.

"Aren't you though?"

Ji-pyeong tried his best to fight a conceding smile. Mi-rae grabbed his arm with both hands and hung on it flirtatiously.

"Did you brush your hair that way just for me?"

Ji-pyeong's eyes sparked with amusement at her playful tone. He wrinkled his nose teasingly.

"I am betting on you messing it up."

He winked at her. Mi-rae's cheeks blushed as her mind flooded with torrid scenes of the confessions of this morning. She tugged on his arm as he smirked knowingly.

"Come on."

They made their way to the steps just as the door above them opened. Mi-rae's heart swelled with affection as her silver haired elderly neighbor and a small Yorkshire terrier greeted them.

"Mi-rae!"

Alicia Blanca stopped as her hand flew to her mouth.

"Oh honey, you look exhausted."

Mi-rae grimaced at her neighbor's always reliably honest assessment. Mrs. Blanca ignored it and then touched Mi-rae's arm affectionately.

"I fed Loki this morning." Then she lowered her voice as if disclosing a grave secret. "By the way, he is running low on canned food and litter."

Then her eyes quickly shifted to Ji-pyeong. She took off her enormous Jackie O sunglasses and immediately appraised him with a coy smile.

"Oh hello."

Mi-rae swallowed.

"Ji-pyeong, this is my favorite neighbor, Alicia Blanca, and her dog, Roosevelt. Mrs. Blanca is Loki's other mother whenever I travel. Mrs. Blanca, this is ..."