Breakfast date

Charlie's POV:

I reach up to knock on Rykers door but it opens as soon as I put my hand up. "Oh hi" his cheeks turn pink and he shoves his hands in his pockets. "I was just getting ready to come get you" he steps through the door way looking down. "Oh sorry" I look down kicking nothing. "So what's this breakfast place you wanna take me to?" He reaches down for my hand giving it a squeeze. I look up and a soft smile forms on his lips. "It's called Thanks a brunch" I giggle. "Of course you'd find a place that's a pun" we walk off towards the elevators hand in hand.

"What's taking so longggg" Ryker whines. The elevator beeps and the doors open to reveal Maddox and Nick with a coffee in their hand. Nick and I lock eyes as they step out of the way. "Where you going?" Nick tilts his head down. His smile disappears as he sees my hand in Rykers. "Oh just a breakfast date" Ryker answers pulling me into the elevator. Before I have time to process what just happened the door shuts. "Do we need to drive to this place?" He asks not even skipping a beat. "It's only about a 10 min walk if that's okay with you" I smile up at him. "Sure I don't mind as long as I get to be around you." I blush at his comment squealing inside. We walk out the front doors still hand in hand. Luke passes by us shooting Ryker a wink. Does everyone know he likes me? Was I that blind? I guess he was always overly friendly but I thought he was just being nice.

We arrive at the place and it's packed. "Can we sit outside?" I pout. "Fine, but if I get a fly in my food you'll have to share yours." We head over to the patio taking a seat at a table under a tree. "It's going to be beautiful in winter." I look around at all the trees and can already picture the snow frosted branches. I start to picture winter in Connecticut. Snow angels, hot chocolate, cuddling with Ryker by a fire to stay warm... "So..." he starts off snapping me out of my thoughts. "How was it seeing Max and Nick together this morning, they are definitely looking very friendly." "He's grown he can date whoever he wants" I huff shoving my hands in my pockets. "You can too you know" he hesitates. He places his hand on the table stretching it out. "I'm sure you could have any guy you wanted anyway." His cheeks flush pink. I go to reach out my hand to meet his but the waitress interrupts, "what can I get for you boys? Omg Ryker is that you?" She screeches. "Hailey, what are you doing here?" His face lights up and he stands up giving her a hug. Ryker and Hailey dated for part of her senior year but broke up out of the blue one day. "San Diego just wasn't for me" she replied smiling and brushing his arm. She's flirting with him and I'm getting irritated. "Anyway what I can get you boys." She pick up her pen and looks over at me. "He will have the ice cream waffle and I'll get the egg white omelet" he orders. She nods her head walking away. "Seems like you can get any girl you want too, even ones you've had" I mumble. "Charlie" He answers firmly. "Look at me" his voice softens and I look up to see a smile on his face. "Did I ever tell you why Hailey and I actually broke up?" He asks as if it's obvious. "No.." I hesitate. I don't really want to hear about this. I wonder if this is what he feels like when I talk about Nick. "Do you remember the day after the big tournament 2 years ago. You and I snuck off to go watch a horror movie in my bedroom while the rest of the team watched marvel downstairs." "Yeah... I remember that" "you fell asleep in my arms and Hailey walked in." A smile dances on his lips. "I didn't know I'm sorry, she must have been so mad." I look down feeling bad. He shook his head laughing. "She knew I had liked you before we got together and I was so distracted looking at you that I never saw her come in and leave... She asked me the next day if I was over you. I thought I was but holding you in my arms that night I just couldn't help but fall for you all over again." His cheeks are a bright red now. "I guess you know I like you now..." I reach my hand out grabbing his hand. "I didn't know until Jackson told me last night." "HE WHAT" he yells. "I swear when we get back I'm going to kill that little.." "Ryker" I interrupt him squeezing his hand. "Don't blame him, he was looking out for you. Besides... this is a date right. You said last night 'it's a date'" I shy away. He sits there for a few moments with a blank stare. I start to pull back my hand embarrassed that I misread the situation. "Of course, I mean you do like me right..." he asks. Hailey comes back holding food once again ruining our moment. "Ah I see you finally got the boy" she winks over at me and smiles. "He's been crazy for you since forever. I'm so happy for you guys" she places the food down and shoots one more wink my way before walking away. "So..." Ryker begins. "You were about to tell me if you like me or if l'm just embarrassing myself here" he chokes out. "Of course I like you. I just never knew you liked boys." "I didn't either until I met you. That day in the locker room a wave of butterflies hit me. I didn't know what it was but I figured it out when I realized I was jealous of Nick." His voice quiets to a whisper. "There's nothing between Nick and I." I huff irritated that yet another person doesn't believe me. "I know that now, but come on Charlie do you really think he doesn't have feeling for you?" I sit there for a moment pondering. "Nick doesn't have feelings for me" I shake my head. "Whatever you say Charlie, but everyone else sees it." I shove a bite of waffle in my mouth wondering how I can convince him. An idea pops to mind and I swallow hard preparing for what I'm about to do. "Ryker" "hmm" he looks up a mouth full of food. "We've already wasted all of high school so here goes nothing." He swallows hard and tilts his head no knowing what I'm about to do. I stand up and plant my feet firmly in front of him. I lean down so our faces our inches away. I reach up cupping his cheek. I crash my lips on his and butterflies explode in my body. He kisses back softly reaching up grabbing my shirt collar. He pulls back. "Charlie I.." "sushhhh" I tell him sitting back down. "You don't have to worry about Nick and I okay" he nods his head smiling. I think I've finally convinced him that I never have and never will have feelings for Nick Nelson.