16

Amara, 18🇭🇹

Amara, 18
🇭🇹

September 1st
12:13 am

My room is completely dark...and cold. I'm just laying here in my bed. Thinking. Other than LeRoy and Jessie, nobody knows what happened to me and I want it to stay that way.

I don't wanna think about this stuff on my birthday, so I try to distract myself by getting on my phone and going on TikTok.

Luckily, I get a call from Roy:

"Hey birthday girl"

"Hi.."

"You ight?"

I don't respond. Complete silence. Just breathing.

He knows something wrong. Do I want him to come over? I don't know. I'm exhausted. I've been working a lot lately and preparing myself for senior year. I even pick up extra shifts. I try to keep myself busy so I won't have time to think about that day.

"Alright Mar" he says right before he hung up.

He sounded frustrated when he said that. I feel bad.

I go back on TikTok, and a few minutes later I get a notification from Life 360.

"LeRoy left Roy's crib⚡️"

He made download the app a few weeks after the incident. I don't mind us having each other's location. But he has been overprotective lately. Ever since I went back to my house, he's always asking me what I'm doing and where I'm going. I have to tell him everything I do. I hate it. I'm literally 18 now, I'm not a little girl.

12:44 am

I'm getting pretty tired.

I take a shower and put on a white crop top with shorts. After that I brush my teeth.

Another notification from my phone:
"LeRoy arrived at Mar's house💕"

Wtf?
I quickly go downstairs.

I'm not worried about my mom waking up...you know why.

I open the door and see Roy. He showed up in a sweatshirt, Nike sweatpants, and Yeezy slides.

He has balloons in one hand and chocolates in the other. Seeing this puts a smile on my face. He always knows how to make me feel better.

He steps inside and I close the door.
"Happy birthday, Amara" he says in a soft voice.

I give him a big hug. He drops everything and picks me up. I start crying. He is the greatest friend I could ever ask for.

He wraps his arms around my waist and hugs me tighter. He sniffles. Roy barely cries. In front of me at least.

He puts me down and quickly wipes his tears away. Probably hoping I wouldn't see. I pick up the chocolates and he takes the balloons.

"What are you doing here so late?" I laugh.

"I couldn't wait to give you your gift so I wanted to do it now." he replies.

We walk to my kitchen and I turn the island lights on, the rest of the house is still dark.

"Wait, you bought me a gift?" I ask. He rarely gets me gifts, so I'm excited..

He doesn't answer. He pulls out a Pandora box from his front pocket. He opens it and puts it on the table.

Wow.

"LeRoy???" I gasp

"LeRoy???" I gasp.

He still doesn't say anything. I look at his eyes and see that they're watering up.

"Eeeeeeeeeee!!! I've never gotten one of these before"

He takes my wrist and puts the bracelet on.

"I have another surprise for you later" he says, now holding my hand.

"What is it?" I ask

"A SURPRISE" He laughs

LeRoy, 18
🇯🇲

1:38am

We go upstairs and watch tv in her room. She has purple led lights on and it's really cold.

These past couple of days, Jessie and I have been planning a party for Amara. We invited everyone we knew. I want her to have the best birthday party ever.

"Are you staying?" She asks

I love being with Amara.

"If you want me to" I say, not looking away from the tv.

"Oh okay" she says. She sounds kind of relieved.

A few minutes later, she falls asleep with her phone still in her hand. I put it on her nightstand on for her.

I take off my sweatshirt and go to sleep.