O N E

It's Monday and my first day at school. Not that I am excited to be the new girl.

" Rosemarie! "

I heard someone call as I got out of the car and waved goodbye to Nate. I cringe at the sound of my full name being called. A girl with pixie-cut brown hair approached me. She smiles so I smiled back awkwardly.

" Rosemarie Hale right? "

She asked awkwardly.

" It's Rose. "

I corrected.

She smiles awkwardly and holds her hand out to me.

" Okay let's try this again Rose Hale I'm Alison and I'll be your tour guide for today. "

A small smirk finds its way to the corner of my lips before I say,

" Thanks, Alison but I'll pass. "

I continue to walk toward the main entrance of Lakewood High School. My new prison away from home. I decided that I didn't want to do the friends thing knowing my history I won't be in this town long enough to have them. My birthday is in two days. And I'll be glorious eighteen. Turning eighteen will be fun. Note the sarcasm. I don't have friends here so there is no way I'll have fun.
Alison followed after me but I ignored her. My first day of school was filled with awkward stares not that I cared. In the cafeteria, I look around for a seat and sat down alone. I was about to take my first bite of pizza when Alison, plus one came over.

" Hi Rose, mind if we join? "

She asked.

" No. "

I say even though I wanted to say yes I mind.

I still made no eye contact with Alison's plus one but I felt him and smelt him. He smelled like freshly baked cookies. And I felt uneasy.

" I have to go. "

I say, suddenly feeling an intense urge to run away. As I got up, I bolt only to slam straight into his chest. I was about to fall back when his arm snaked around my waist and caught me.

" Rose are you okay? "

He asked.

His voice was warm and calm.
I nod. He takes my hair away from my face and tucks it behind my ear. When he does I wanted to lean into him. He intakes a breath and then he lets go. I take a deep breath and then I walk away. What the hell is wrong with me? Why was I acting weird because of some guy I barely know?

-----

In my next class, it was hard to focus. His scent was still on me or he was in my class. Alison was in my class and she kept smiling at me as if I were her sister.

Did I miss something?

After class Alison was waiting outside. She beams a smile at me when she sees me.

" Hey, Alison. "

I say awkwardly.

" Hi, my brother and I were wondering if you needed a ride home. "

She says her tone hopeful. I give a small smile and replied to her offer.

" I'm sorry but Nate will be here to pick me up. "

I say truthfully.

" Who's Nate? "

I heard a familiar male voice ask. I turn around to finally look at the guy I slam face-first into the cafeteria.

" He's my Dad. Not that I owe you an explanation. "

I answered.

He smiles and walks toward me. And I stood my ground.

" I'm Lucas Regan. "

He says holding out his hand to me.
The only I do is ignore his hand and walked away the last thing playing on my mind is his last name.

Regan.

For some reason, that name sounds familiar. Like I have heard it before.
From Nate, I'll ask him about it. I go out front as I know he would Nate pulled up and I got into his black Volvo. I take a look at Lucas before Nate pulls off his face in an unreadable mask.