Same but.. different

I have no idea where I'm gonna go with this story I'm not gonna lie

Masky and hoodie both stared at Toby's face. The tensed cheek muscles of trying to compress a smile and an almost giggle. His eyes were shut right, not the loose sleep kind of shut eye but the tense 'I can't see anything' kind of shut eye. It was evident that Toby was awake but masky and hoodie could not comprehend it...

"Toby?" Masky and hoodie said in unison. Toby opened one eye and smiled.
"Hey masky" and masky couldn't help but smile and hug him, gently of course.
"Y-you're awake! You're actually awake!" He grinned "finally...."
"W-wait finally?" He asked, very concerned at how long he had been out.
"you've been in a coma for nearly a month" hoodie spoke up.
"A m-month?!" Toby was to stunned to speak. He had been out for a month? What was this...
"Yeah... but we've been so worried but thank god you're awake" Masky smiled. Toby could only nod. He looked between the two surprised at how non-awkward it was.

After some time to answer questions and make sure he was fine physically and mentally... well as mentally okay as he could be... they let him go back to usual routine. Because of the house situation, his room had been destroyed by the fire and he had to share with someone now. That person on the roster so happened to be the one and only Masky. Toby was actually quite happy with this decision as it meant he could have some alone time with masky more but he was worried that he may annoy masky to insanity. Then again is that really a bad thing?

As the day went on it seemed masky was very close to Toby, almost territorial. He was there by his side as he ate his sandwich, there with him as he practiced his hatchet throws, there by his side as he watched Ben and Jeff play mario kart, always right by his side. It made Toby wonder... what had changed. Masky was his usual quiet stoic self yet... not at the same time. When someone came near Toby with any kind of weapon, granted most carried around their weapon of choice everywhere, he'd glare and he let out a low almost inaudible growl that only Toby could really hear. What had happened in that month he was out... was masky really that worried?

Hoodie wasn't any better either. He was protective in a whole other situation. He would watch Toby's every step from afar and when he saw anything that could cause Toby any harm he would move it away and make sure it did not interfere with Toby's day. The teen did not know how to process this truly. He didn't know whether or not he liked it. It was, to say the least, very different.

One night after this had happened for a week, Toby questioned masky as they were getting ready for bed.
"H-hey masky." He was ignored. "Hey maskyyy" ignored again. Toby let out a deep sigh as he had to resort to his final method.
"Hey masky hey masky hey masky hey masky hey masky hey masky hey ma-"
"What is it Toby?" Masky looked over. It seemed he hadn't heard many of the 'hey maskys'. He had been to deep in thought.
"So... why are you and-and hoodie acting so different since I woke up... y-you've been more... protective." Toby questioned him as he looked over, locking in eye contact.
"Huh? Oh... it's just... you really scared us. We thought you wouldn't wake up for a long time and on the day you did wake up we were starting to loose hope. I guess just having you back... awake that is... I, at least, am scared something bad will happen again. And I want to prevent that happening as much as possible Toby because I-I l-" he stopped himself immediately and went dead silent, looking away. Toby looked up at him and tilted his head. God that curious confused tilt made maskys knees weak. It was so cute. It reminded masky of a curious cat.
"What we're you going to say?" Toby asked, very intrigued.
"Nothing, it doesn't matter." Masky responded as he continued getting dressed for bed.
"Masky please. Tell me" Toby looked at him, locking in that eye contact once again. Masky could drown in those deep chocolate eyes. Such beautiful eyes.

"I just..." a light blush spread across his cheeks "you... you have changed my life so much, Toby. And I mean that in a good way. This last year or so has been brilliant. Sure you were annoying... so so annoying at the start but... it was your quirk. It was just you. And you've made this mansion slightly better and slightly more fun than it was before. You've made my life more fun. And I don't know how to show it to you more that you've made me enjoy my life more" Masky smiled at Toby. A soft smile. One of pure happiness and truth.
"Masky... I- do you.. do you truly mean tbat?" Toby was stunned that someone could ever describe him that way.
"Of course I mean it Toby. There's not a day that I won't mean it." He chuckled softly. Tobys cheeks were a shade of light pink going on red. He really had deep feelings for Masky and right now he just wanted to jump on him and kiss him. But alas he could not do that... surely Masky had no similar feelings rigjt?

I mean... they are just friends....
Right?