Chapter 26 | Nap Time

MALIAS POV:

"I'm going to sweat my fucking tits off," I whine, looking up at the ceiling in silent prayer. This room feels like I'm in Florida during summer, and I am not having it.

Ruth just chuckles, shoving me playfully before hooking her arm in mine. "You'll live," She starts, leading me towards the front of the boxing ring.

"Now come, the match is about to start." She whispers, a smile glossing over her face.

The mix of sweat and alcohol makes my nose scrunch up. The putrid smell causes me to hold in my gag as I push through crowds of people. Ruth talks to people on the way, most of it playful banter, before we finally end my suffering and make it to the front of the ring.

"Close your eyes if it gets too bloody for you; these types of fights tend to be rough." She whispers to me, squeezing my arm before turning back to the ring.

What the fuck?

Mom, pray for me.

"Oh, and if you happen to fain-" Shots run through the room, causing a shock of terror down my spine. Quickly, Ruth grabs my arm, running with the crowd as we all make it out of the tight area.

My hair sticks to my neck, my hands shaking with the shock of the gun sounds. Ruth tightens her grip on my hand, a comforting squeeze that helps me breathe a little bit better.

We race out into the dark street, the shots continuing to fire as the cop sirens get louder. It's all a blur, people raiding the street to either hide or racing towards their cars.

Ruth races down the street, dragging me on before we make it to her car. Quickly, we almost tumble into the car before retreating from the gloomy corner she hid the car.

"Fuck, my lipstick got ruined," Ruth grumbles.

_______________________________________

I think I'm going to puke.

I groan, holding my head in my hands as I lean back into the passenger seat. Ruth, the mysterious race car driver she is, decided to drive like we were on a high-end chase. Which caused me to slam into the window several times.

Ruth chuckles, blowing the hair out of her face before looking at me. She gives me a small smile, both of us turning silent as we look at each other.

It stays silent for a minute or two before she lets out a pig snort, and we start wheezing. She snorts again, making my stomach hurt from so much laughing, my head hurting less.

Ruth kicks the car door open, stepping out before stretching her long limbs. "Oh god, I need a nap." I scoff, rubbing my sore head as I step out of the car.

"Really, you need a nap from that, not medical attention?" I ask her, scrunching my brows when I take in a huge house that I didn't seem to notice until right now.

She walks around the car, giving me a small smile before analyzing the house. "Since I didn't know your address, I took you to a very special safe house." She says, elongating the word very as she walks toward the main entrance.

"Come on," She says, waving me over. "The head of the house wants to meet you." She says, turning back as she gives me a cheeky smile. I breathe in, totally not confused at all, as I make my way towards the steps of the entrance.

"Oh, don't worry. The boss already had her nap time. She should be in good spirits." Ruth exclaims, itching the back of her head.

"I think."