Nine

Calum and I chatted about a few random things for a couple of minutes while we waited for the others to join the call

Sure enough, a few seconds later Ashton connected to the call.

"Hey, sorry I don't got much time to talk, but I assume this has to do with Carson?" He was wearing his black scrub cap and looked to be like he was hiding out in one of the supply closets on the OR floor.

"Yeah, it does."

"Judging by your face things didn't go great, huh?"

I shook my head. Maybe I was expecting too much or being overdramatic since this is truly the first time Carson and I met, but I thought she would've reacted differently.

She looked like she didn't even want to see me at all, which I get because she barely knew me but I'm not going to lie and say that it didn't sting a little bit.

Maybe the first initial shock of me standing at her doorstep was a terrifying experience for her, but I at least thought she would've been interested to know more about me and myself about her.

The thing that also shocked me the most was not only how unkept and filthy the house looked, but the overwhelming smell of alcohol and cigarettes. Carson even smelt like them and I could only hope that she wasn't smoking or drinking at such a young age.

But I didn't have much control over that I guess. Her mother had custody of her and I had nothing.

Soon enough Michael also joined us on FaceTime and was also eager to hear how meeting Carson for the first time went.

"So you're gonna get custody of her, yeah?" He immediately asked.

I sighed and ran my fingers through my mess of curls. "It's not that simple, it's complicated."

"How so?"

"It just... it wasn't what I was expecting. The whole house was untidy and didn't look like Tiffany took care of it well.

"Well maybe they're just busy," Calum argued and I could tell he was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but maybe, just maybe if he saw the way the house was then he probably wouldn't feel the same way.

"Okay well, that's not even the worst part, Cal. Carson opened the door and the whole aroma was just alcohol and cigarettes. I'm pretty sure Carson does all that too. Plus Tiffany's boyfriend is a complete asshole and I can only hope he isn't that way to Carson."

I could tell that Ashton was frustrated with this information; they all were.

I mean they're wasn't much I could do since I didn't have full custody of Carson and she seemed to want nothing to do with me.

But I was a fucking cardio surgeon, I studied medicine for years. I know all the effects drinking and smoking could have on a person, plus not to mention that Carson was underage doing all this.

I didn't even want to think about her having some type of lung cancer or liver disease from the alcohol.

"So what're you gonna do?" Ash asked.

"I'm gonna fight for her. I have to."