Twenty-five

(not proofread/did it best with researching)

..

Luke's pov

Just one more surgery to go, and then I could finally go back home to Carson and Petunia. It hopefully shouldn't take too long—a few hours at most, but most ended up being a lot quicker than that.

I had a couple of interns with me, and I was meeting my scrub nurse and the anesthesiologist in the OR.

Truthfully, I just wanted to go home to Carson. I had been worried about her recently. She seemed to be growing distant. I thought we were finally starting to be okay, but after the checkup today, I wasn't so sure anymore.

I was just about to enter the scrub room that was adjacent to the OR when my arm was roughly pulled back.

"Hey, what?" I turned around and saw Calum, who was breathing heavily. He also stood with a fellow cardiac surgeon. "You good, Cal?"

"You need to come down to the ER. Now."

"What? I can't; I'm about to go in for surgery. You've got Dr. Johnson with you, so have him go down there if it's a consultation."

"Listen to me, Luke. You need to go down there now." I could hear the desperation in his voice, making me start to worry, hoping Ash and Michael were okay.

"Calum, what the hell is going on?"

He shook his head and motioned for me to step aside from the automatic doors that lead to the scrub room. "I can't tell you, not here anyway. Dr. Johnson is going to do the surgery, but I need you."

"Okay.."

I was quite confused about why they would be coming to get me for a supposed cardiac emergency in the ER when Dr. Johnson was perfectly capable as well. Perhaps it had something to do with me being the top cardiac surgeon at the hospital.

I was more confused that it was Calum coming to grab me when he primarily worked in psychology.

I followed Calum towards the elevators and stepped in, watching as he pressed the button that the ER was located on. I believed that we would've taken the stairs since the ER was only a couple of floors down, but it seemed that my friend had different plans.

Meanwhile, while I waited 30 seconds for the elevator to get to the correct floor, I grabbed my pager off of my waist and checked it. There was no page on there, so now it was starting to feel a little suspicious.

"Are Mike and Ash okay?"

"Yeah, they're fine."

"Are you going to tell me why we're going to the ER when I should be in the OR?"

"No. Come on, Luke." He took hold of my arm again when the elevator doors opened and began to drag me toward the emergency department.

The sudden sense of urgency that he was showing was starting to make me panic. Why had no one fucking paged me?

If there was a patient with a cardiac emergency, then I or another cardiac specialist should've been paged, not Calum having to come physically find me.