(26) The Reason Why

I woke up the next morning to see that Colt was gone. His side of the bed was cold so I knew that he had been gone for a while. With a sigh I started to stretch out my stiff muscles and hissed at the pain I felt. Even with a fast metabolism my wounds from the fire were still healing and mating with Colt had only added to those aches.

I felt my cheeks go red and my breathing wavered slightly at just thinking about what had happened last night. Our wolves hadn’t been satisfied with mating once. After the first time I rested for about half an hour before rolling over to Colt and begging him for more. The need I had felt for my mate was immense and even now I was struggling to control it. I wanted to touch him now all the time, to be claimed again and again, and it frightened me. I had never had to deal with these kinds of emotions before and frankly I wasn’t sure how Colt would react if he knew.

Sure we’re mated now but is that going to change him? Was Colt going to become this soft and gentle mate like Linc was with Jackie, or was he still going to be harsh and hold his secrets? I thought silently before dragging myself out of the bed.

A chill ran up then length of my spine making me remember that I was completely naked. I was quick to run over to the closet and throw on a set of clothing. Red short sleeved shirt with a pair of black skinny jeans. I smiled remembering the time when Jackie and I had gone shopping. After trying on a seemingly endless amount of clothing Jackie had told me that red suited me. It was the first compliment I had ever gotten before and remembering it gave me a pleasant feeling.

Suddenly I wonder how Jackie was doing. The last time I had seen her was when she was being carried off into the sunset by her god of a mate. I knew that he wounds were all healed because Linc had done the whole thing right in front of me but what about the baby? Had she lost it or had the pup been healed by its daddy’s magically hands too?

I was so stuck in my own head that I hadn’t even realized that I had been wondering around the apartment and before I knew it I was standing in the living room. The sound of shuffling feet outside of the door caught my attention and the first thing that came to mind was Kirk. I scanned the room quickly, seeing no sign of Colt at all and realized that I was on my own. A large amount of noise and chatter was coming from the other side of the door and I realized that I was seriously outnumbered. With no better option I raise my shoulders up like hackles and let a powerful growl tare through my lips. If those bastards wanted to ambush me in my own damn apartment then bring it on.

The door handle clicked, sending my wolf half into a frenzy of fear and survival as I started sprinting closer to it. I was about to pounce on whatever poor soul was about to walk through my front door when a familiar scent hit me, making me skid to a halt.

There was a sweet harmonious laugh that carried into the apartment followed by the image of a tall gorgeous pregnant woman, Jackie. Her dark chocolate eyes feel on me and he smile grew larger showing off her deep dimples.

“Jackie.” I said on the brink of tears before closing the distance between us and throwing my arms around her.

She laughed lightly as she embraced me. “I called yesterday after I woke up but Colt said that you were resting and to drop by tomorrow. I’m glad to see that you are okay Allie.”

I nodded against her shoulder. “I’m fine. I’m fine.” I pulled away from her and swatted at the little tears that had escaped down my cheeks. “How are you? The baby okay and everything?”

She nodded touching a motherly hand to her stomach and rubbing it slightly. “Yeah Linc checked it out and said that the little tike was fine.”

I felt my head cock to one side. “Linc checked it out?”

She nodded again before flipping some hair over her shoulder. “Yeah you know about his whole godly powers and what not. He hasn’t really giving me much information on it but basically he felt up my bloated stomach and gave me the okay. It’s pretty ironic that we were both…not human and we had to keep it a secret from the other.”

“You’re telling me.” I agreed. “I didn’t even know that gods existed until he went all voodoo on you.”

Jackie let out a short giggle. “I know right! It makes me wonder what kind of a child I am carrying around now.”

“Oh I’m sure the pup will be a handful.” I added, finally taking the time to look behind Jackie and into the filled hallway. The amount of people bustling through it carrying small boxes and bags of clothes amazed me. “What is going on?”

Jackie looked over her shoulder before shrugging her shoulder. “Linc told me that you were housing more than half of the pack now that the Lou Pine’s is burnt to the ground.”

I bite on the inside of my cheek, remembering how I had been the one who had invited them all here. “Oh yeah.”

Jackie looked back at the busy hallway, to me, and then back again before stepping out of the doorway and shutting the door. “I know you are probably going to want to help them get all situated and all but there is something important that we need to talk about.”

Frowning at Jackie suddenly turning serious I gave her a reassuring nod. “Okay.”

She ran an almost nervous hand through her thick long hair before letting out a sigh. “The day the bar was burnt down do you remember…how cut up I was.”

The image of her mutated body and blood gushing everywhere flashed into my head. With a hard swallow I nodded. “Yes.”

“Okay good,” She breathed taking a step closer to me and grabbing ahold of my shoulders. “I’m going to need you to listen to me very carefully then. I wasn’t alone in there.”

My frowned deepened. “We were the only ones in there though Jackie, I remember checking before we went out the window.”

She shook her head from side to side. “Someone started that fire Allie and whoever it was must have been the same person who attacked me. I was right behind you remember. You jumped through the window first and broke the glass and I was supposed to go right after you, but this black wolf came out of nowhere and started ripping my hind apart.”

“Damn it,” I cursed furiously realizing that a member of my pack had gone been the one to attack her. There must have been a rogue in the pack somewhere that wanted me dead and the Lou Pine gone because there were no other packs allowed on my territory. “I knew that those were claw marks on your hind but I didn’t think…I never pieced together that you were attacked.”

She waved her hand in my face. “Don’t worry about it. I got out and I was healed. What I wanted to tell you was that the wolf there wasn’t one of ours.”

“Ours?” I asked trying to keep up with her.

She nodded. “They weren’t part of the Silverback’s.”

My eyes grew wide with surprise. “How could you tell?”

She rolled her eyes at me. “They didn’t have silver eyes.”

I cocked my head to the side in confusion. What did that have to do with anything? I was their Alpha and I didn’t have silver eyes. “I’m not following.”

“Everyone in the pack has silver eyes except for You, Colt, and me. It’s because we weren’t bred within this pack and it carries that specific special trait. Since I was the victim, you were already outside, and Colt was out with you that only leave one other possibility.”

“A rogue?” I asked.

She let out a frustrated sound before grabbing hold of my shoulders again and shaking me gently. “The Blackpaw pack! They are the only other pack in this district and they all have copper eyes.”

I could feel my throat grow tight with what she was saying. “You mean to tell me that Kirk’s pack did this.”

She nodded her head. “Yes.”

“But I forbade them from coming into my territory.”

“Well obviously they didn’t listen.” She let her hands fall from my shoulders.

I ran a shaking hand through my hair as I processed everything. The Blackpaws had come into my territory, burnt down my pack member’s homes, and nearly killed my best friend. God damn it. I thought roughly. Kirk has finally made his move.

“Did you tell Colt about this?” I questioned still reeling from the shock of it all.

She shook her head. “And that testosterone high mutt charge blindly at them? Hell no.”

I nodded at her rash thinking. If Colt had known about it he probably would have marched right into the Blackpaw territory by himself in a fit of rage and been overpowered. “Good.” I told her.

“Should I inform the other pack members?”

“No.” I answered on a sigh.

She frowned at me. “Why not?”

“While you were right not to tell Colt about immediately he still needs to know.”

She crinkled her nose together. “Do you want me to tell him?”

“No,” She let out a sigh of relief. “It will probably be better coming from his mate anyway.”

Her eyes grew wide. “You’re official?”

I cringed at my own slip up. “No..”

A small broke across her face. “Oh my god.” She took a step closer before yanking down the side of my shirt. The Mark was still tender with a dark red crusted blood in the shape of teeth marks and bright blue bruises forming a ring along its side. She let out a little gasp before speaking, “Oh my god you did! Ah I can’t believe it you two are finally mated! How does it feel?”

I yanked her grip away from my shirt and fiddled with it until I was sure that the mark was covered. “Hurts like hell actually.”

She gave me an apologetic look. “Sorry.”

I rolled my eyes at her. “Yeah I know but I’ll tell you about it another time.”

She grunted before crossing her arms over her chest. “Seriously? Why the wait?”

I laughed at her being impatient. “Because I have an entire pack walking around in my home and don’t want anyone to overhear it.”

She shrugged her shoulders. “Alright then we’ll ditch them.”

“Jackie, I can’t do that I’m their Alpha.” I explained.

“And I’m your best friend in dire need of a hot marking story because Linc never gave me one.” She groaned.

I cocked an eyebrow at her. “Really?”

She nodded. “Yeah ends up if you ask a god to bite your neck until you bleed they think that you are sadistic or something.”

“Ahh the problem in mating a different species.” I reasoned.

“Shut up.” She growled playfully. “Now give me the deeds.”

I laughed at her before shaking my head. “I can’t Jackie. I should be out there helping the pack move in.”

“Arg!” She groaned obnoxiously. “Fine but then I want to hear about everything.”

“Deal.”