A Night to Remember

Monday, it's my first day of work in months. I felt weird, I never went this long out of work. Cassie greets me enthusiastically when I go to her.

"You're officially back !"

"Yeah, finally."

"Oh I'm sorry for what happened, I know you wanted that job..."

"It's alright, Cass." I give her a reassuring smile.

"Oh, I won't be here for the next few hours because I've got some paperwork to enter into the server. So I might miss Mr. Wilde."

"He is not here yet ?"

"No, someone left something for him earlier. Could you please give it to him when he comes ?"

Cassie crouches down and then stands up with a white box which she places on the counter.

"What did they look like ?"

The note glued on the lid only said: "To Nick Wilde.". It was kind of suspicious to drop an unspecified item at a police station.

"It was a woman, maybe around her thirties she had black hair and she was fashion mannequin type of tall. She was wearing sunglasses but I could already tell she was very pretty." Cassy recalled.

Oh.

"I see. Thank you, Cassy, I will pass it to him."

Cassy simply nodded as I picked up the box and carried it towards the elevators. Soon enough I was placing it on my office's desk. Of course, I wasn't planning to find out whatever was inside, even if I was curious it was none of my business.

Though, I wonder what was Nick's relationship with that woman.

No, it wasn't my business either! We're not dating for real anyway. I put the box under the desk and out of sight so I could stop thinking about it before sitting down and turning on my computer to start working.

I have a lot to catch up to with my long absence, I don't even notice the time passing until knocks interrupt the silence of my office. A glance at the time tells me a whole hour passed already before I permit to enter. The door opens, revealing none other than Nick. His shirt's sleeves are bunched up around his elbows as usual, and his hair is styled back except for a few wild strands falling on his face. He smiles at me like it's a delight to see me but I won't give him the pleasure of returning it. I was feeling petty for some reasons I didn't even know.

"Do you usually come this late ?"

He laughs, closing the door behind him before walking towards me.

"What if I say yes ?" his tone is playful but it makes me even more irritated.

"That would be very irresponsible of you, don't you think ?" My eyes trail to the open buttons showing his collarbones. "You should know that more than anyone else."

I don't know if he picked the meaning behind my words but the corners of his smiling mouth twitch, a crack on his mask.

"That would be, indeed, Don't worry, I just had something important to do today."

He places his hands on my desk, leaning over the desk and I have to look up to keep eye contact with him.

"How is your first day so far ?"

"Pretty boring, just working on papers."

"I see. You don't like working behind a desk very much, huh ?"