⁰³ | Bunny slippers

ᴍᴀᴇᴠᴇ ᴡɪʟʟɪᴀᴍꜱ

𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐒 𝐓𝐘𝐋𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐘 broke my front door when he burst in at top speed. "Did you get it?"

I stare at him, my eyebrows drew together as I try to regain my composure. "Jesus, hot wheels," I breathe heavily. "You're lucky I didn't throw this book at you."

"No time for sarcasm," he calls over his shoulder, leaving the room just as quickly as he came.

I follow him down the driveway, protesting the lack of information he gave as he opens my mailbox. I'm about to tell him that reading anything in there is considered illegal when he tosses me an envelope.

"What the shit is this?" I ask.

"Our ticket out of here. I already talked to Ken, he called earlier today," Russ rushes out. "You need to check your mail more, by the way."

"What do you mean 'our ticket out of here'?"

"Just read it, Maeve. And then we'll go call Adam."

My attention perks up at the sound of Adam's name. I meant to call him an hour ago, but one thing led to another, and I just didn't. I tear the seal, letting my gaze dance across a fancy font in big letters that say 'Eden Hall Academy'. My eyes go wide at the name. I recognize it as a Minnesota address. "My cousin went here a few years ago. It's preppier than preppy."

"I guess you won't be able to wear those bunny slippers there then."

Shit. I'm still wearing my pajamas. "Shut up, I'm reading."

Seven seconds later, my jaw plummets 20 feet. I look back at Russ because maybe it's a prank. Maybe Russ is pulling something on me because I haven't played street puck in a while.

"Are we going to that preppy school or what, baby?"

My heart drops through my stomach. In a flash, I can see his freckled nose. His rings. His eyes. Everything. I remember all of it. I remember his kiss more than anything. I am not capable of forming fluent sentences. "I-I don't know."

The grin on his face sinks. "What do you mean 'you don't know'?"

Lie.

"I mean that I have to talk to my dad--my mom!"

"Maeve, do I have to remind you that your best friends are there? Why are you even questioning this?"

You have to lie.

I run a hand through my hair. "Because it's not that simple. My parents never talked about when I'd come back. What if my mom isn't ready for me? What if I'm not ready for it? I feel like I just got adjusted to living here. Now I have to go back?"

"You have to talk to them. You know that you can't pass this opportunity up--I mean, getting a scholarship for hockey! We'll all be there."

I don't think he understood that that is exactly what I was afraid of--that this is the thing that kept me up every night for two years. I'm scared that I'll realize I made the mistake of leaving Minnesota when I get there. I'm scared of being a stranger to the people I know best.

"I just need a few days to think about it."

☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆

a/n- I know author notes suck and so does this extremely short chapter but I just want to apologize for how inactive I've been recently. I'm back in school, a varsity athlete, and working, meaning I have no time to write. I'm pushing myself to get chapters out even if they're 500 words like this. Every comment is highly appreciated and helps with motivation!