¹² | Breaking dawn

ɢᴜʏ ɢᴇʀᴍᴀɪɴᴇ

"𝐈 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐊 𝐈𝐓'𝐒 finally time that we talk about it," Connie says to me.

I pull the binoculars down from my eyes. It's hard to see in the black of the night. "Talk about what?"

She sadly smiles. "All the reasons why we don't work."

I stare at her for a long moment. This would be so out of the blue, but it's really not. It's probably the conversation that's been needed most in the entire world. "Are you breaking up with me right now?"

"Guy, sweetheart, don't play dumb," Connie spoke. "We aren't happy together. I want to be with someone that makes me happy."

"So we are breaking up."

She nods. "You don't have to pretend like this isn't what you wanted, too. I know. Everything has been different since they came back."

"You mean Maeve?" I ask, slow and cautious.

"And Luis."

This was about Luis? Mendoza? No breaks? She was still into him?

"You still have feelings for him," I fill in.

"I didn't at first," she tells me. "But things just sort of happen, you know?"

"Yeah, I know."

"I want to be completely civil about this."

"I do, too."

"And I want you to be with someone that makes you happy, too. I love you, Guy. Just not in the way we've been pretending that we do."

I play back her words a few times in my head. "Do you think that we keep getting back together because it is what is easiest?"

Connie laughs a little but nods. There are tears in her eyes. "That's exactly what I think."

I laugh, too, now.

"Luis and I...well, it's not perfect. But I think it is what is supposed to happen. There's still so much we have to work on, but I don't want to work on it with anyone else but him. I bet you understand that."

"I do."

"I was a really shitty girlfriend," Connie remarks.

"I wasn't a great boyfriend, either."

She shrugs. "You kind of were, though. You were sweet to me when I was a complete bitch."

"We were both going through a lot," I say. "It was a hard time. I think we both needed someone."

"But we didn't really need each other."

"It was nice, wasn't it? Having someone, though?"

"It was," she agrees. "But it's sort of funny, how we both needed the people furthest away from us most."

"Did you have feelings for him while we were together?" I ask just out of pure curiosity. I don't think I'd be upset with any of the possible answers.

"I'm not sure, really. It's not like we kept much contact. I sorta knew that he'd find other girls back in Florida. But I thought about him a lot."

"Are you going to get back together with him?"

"We're going to try," Connie decides.

"Well, I'm happy for you, really. You deserve someone who loves you in the way you want to be loved."

Connie looks at me and smiles. "Thank you, Guy."

I hand her the binoculars and she looks into the rooms of the Varsity boys. The ants are beginning to crawl along their sheets and skin.