5-Avoid

*Leahs pov*

"Baby I need you ready now! This is why you don't plan things last minute!" I call out as my thirteen year old walks down the stairs.

"Where'd you get that shirt from?" I stop what I'm doing and ask curiously when I notice the crop top she has on. Which I did not buy.

"The mall." She shrugs with a smile. "Let's go!!" She says and walks to the front door, like I'm the one who's dragging my feet-.

"Please let me know about your play dates when I'm not already late for work." I tell her as we walk out the door. No response comes out of her mouth while her eyes are glued to her phone. "Sofia!" I say and she looks at me.

"Ok I will!" She responds and I roll my eyes. "You're a pain in my arse." I sigh as we get in the car. "Just say ass mom-.." Sofia rolls her eyes and my mouth drops.

"I'm not gonna say anything because I don't expect any less from you." I try and ignore what she just said.

I pull out of our driveway and head to Sofia's friend's house.

I've been thinking about telling Sofia that Jen is back home, but I still don't know if Jennifer is actually going to want to see Sofia, so I'm not going to get her hopes up.

And knowing Sof, she would just walk right over and ring their doorbell if she knew Jen was there.

Sometimes I wonder if Sofia remembers the day that Jennifer left. She's older now, so if she does remember does she think about why Jen left the way she did? Did she figure out that there had to be some type of situation going on?

I wonder. But I'd never ask. Bringing up Jennifer was always like throwing a grenade with Sofia. She might not remember when Jen left, but I know she remembers what it was like afterwards.

Two years after and Sofia still cried everytime Jennifer's name was mentioned. Now it's just not mentioned. Which is probably for the best.

Now that Jennifer is back, and I actually saw her, she's all I can think about. The other day when I left for work, I could've sworn I was hallucinating when I thought I saw Jen outside.

Now I know that it was her, but in that moment I felt like I was going crazy. Like my mind had been trying so hard not to forget her face that I started seeing it.

But once I actually saw her in Starbucks, I realized I could never forget her face. I had every correct detail still memorized.

I felt like I was dreaming, and I didn't know what to say. And Jennifer- she was just so calm. Until she started to tear up, but I don't blame her considering the pretty intense situation. And Jennifer has always been one to let her emotions show.

I know it's bad, but a part of me was happy to see her cry just one more time, even if that was the last time. She's always looked so pretty when she'd cry. That vulnerable facial expression and the way her honey eyes sparkled behind the tears, lips puffy, beautiful.
One shed tear and I'd give in. All I'd want to do is hold her and tell her 'everything's gonna be alright'.

God. I don't think my mind has fully comprehended that she's actually here.

Once I drop Sofia off, I head to work.

I wonder if Jennifer remembers any of our arguments, or the things that were said to eachother through rage. I'm sure she does, those are probably core memories of our relationship.

But it's funny because it was also beautiful at times. Somehow the secret and sneaking around in the beginning just made it so much more meaningful. Something that only the two of us knew and had. We shared it, the love.

And the sex...oh my god the sex. I try not to think about that, but every now and then my mind slips. She was the best lover I've ever had. At one point we knew every crevice of eachother's body.

It was perfect everytime we slept together.

My heart did break when she left. It broke and it broke for Sofia. After that I fell into a spiral of self pitty. I was just so mad that I let things happen how they did.

Not to mention that months afterwards, I had my nine year old at home crying about when her dad is coming back, and me trying to figure out what to tell her because I didn't know myself. I know now that the answer was never. I was in such a state of panic for so long. I had never been so lost.

I like to think that I'm a good parent, but in that period of time I really let myself go. I hated seeing my daughter in such grief.

It would be crying over Jennifer, then Angelo, then her knocking on my door, begging for me to come out.

It was really bad. I never thought that I'd have a time in my life when I didn't want to be here. But I just kept reminding myself how much I needed to be there for Sofia, and how she needs her mom.

Eventually I accepted the truth and got my shit together. But my shit is nowhere near together now that she's back.

Once I get to work I head to my office and sit down. Right when I turn on my laptop, a message pops up on my phone.

A notification I haven't seen on my screen in years.

iMessage
Jen❤️

I never changed her contact name.

Before I open it, all the possibilities of what it says runs through my brain, building tension.

I click the notification and the message appears.

"Hey, I'm not sure if this is still your number, but I'd like to see Sofia. If that's okay?" I read in my head as I bite my cheek.

She wants to see Sofia. Of course she does. Immediately I respond, telling her that I'm happy to hear that.

And I am. Sofia will be ecstatic when she sees her. And this gives me an excuse to see her again. I thought for sure she'd try to avoid me for the rest of the time she's here, but obviously she's not trying too hard.