6-Talk

*Jens pov*

I stand on Leah's front porch, fidgeting with my fingers while looking down at my feet. I really could just walk away. Forget about all this for the second time and go back to my apartment in France.

But I want more to see Sofia than that.

I texted Leah that I'd come today and she said that's fine, so I'm here. Well I've actually been here for almost seven minutes, building up the courage to ring the doorbell.

Come on Jennifer, you've done it a thousand times before. Sure things are different now, but it's not that hard to just push a fucking button.

So I do. I lift up my hand and let my shaky finger push the button. For some reason I immediately regret it. I'm nervous.

I hear footsteps quickly come down the hall and my heart rate goes up. Is that Sofia? Oh God, I don't know if I'm ready for this.

Everything that took me so long to get over is all coming back. Thinking about it that way doesn't sound like the best idea.

I hear the door unlock; it opens and I swallow hard.

I lift my eyes from off the ground and look up, revealing Leah.

Not Sofia, but Leah.

"Hi." I say and immediately regret my tone in voice. "Hi. I'm sorry, I didn't know you were coming over now." Leah says.

"Oh- well is that okay??" I ask. "Yeah! No-yeah don't worry about it, but Sofia's at her friends house right now." She starts to say.

Great. Of course she is. Now I have to suffer through this awkward conversation.

"But she's on her way back...if you wanna come in and wait?" She asks hesitantly, swiftly taking a millisecond to eye me down.

I press my lips, not knowing if this is the best idea. But I can't say no. I have to keep telling myself that this is for Sofia. Not me, not Leah. Just Sofia. I probably hurt that little girl's heart so bad, I can't live with that on my conscious for the rest of my life. I always hoped that I'd get one last chance to talk to her, and this is it.

"Sure." I nod and force a smile, avoiding eye contact. Leah steps out of the way, opening the door and I walk in. I take a look around and notice every slight difference.

The design and interior is the same, just some different decorations.

I can feel a sense of emotions flow through me like a tsunami. Just looking at everything I once knew makes me want to cry.

I blink continuously, fighting back the tears. I let my fingers graze over the fabric of the couch. The same couch from five years ago. Where I sat while Sofia slept, and where me and Leah made love.

Images of these memories flash through my head, but my thoughts are interrupted by Leah's voice.

"I guess it must be weird being back here." She says as she closes the door behind her. "Yeah. Feels like a past life." I shrug, happy that Leah started a conversation so my mind is distracted from the emotions.

"A fever dream even." I say as I stop looking around and meet Leah's eyes. Leah smiles politely before looking to the kitchen.

"Can I get you a drink. You're at least twenty-one now right?" She jokes, attempting to lighten the intense mood.

"Try twenty-five." I say. Leah's facial expression changes and I can see her mind trying to comprehend.

"Fuck...It really has been a long time Jen." She shakes her head.