Chapter 2 Crash

Anna was surprised how spooked she was seeing Donnie. She should be used to this. She has watched him leave around the same time every night for the last couple of weeks.

Why did this time seeing him caused her to become unusually startled?

Anna is suddenly woken to a big crashing sound. At first she thought she was waking up from a very vivid dream but then when she opened her eyes she saw the shelves above her bed shake. Books, a stuffed animal, even her jewelry box were starting to topple right above her head. She managed to move just in time before her jewelry box would have clocked her square on her face.

Earthquakes are very rare in Virginia but due to her half slumber addled brain, that was the first thing she thought was happening.

She jumped out of her bed and ran over to her crying sister. She grabbed her and pulled her to the only spot in their shared bedroom where nothing could topple on them.

Soon enough she hears her father swing his bedroom door open and run down the hallway.

He opens up each bedroom door one by one to check on all of his children.

"We're okay dad. Was that an earthquake?" Anna asks while still cradling a very upset Maeve in her arms.

"I have no idea. But whatever it is has stopped. I'm going to go outside and see if there is any damage."

A few minutes later the rest of the family go outside to discover the Darko's roof had caved in.

It wasn't till a couple hours later they found out a jet engine fell from the sky and landed on their roof, directly on Donnie's bedroom.

Anna looked across the street and saw every single family member of the Darko residence except for Donnie.

She ran across the street to see if they were okay.

"Where's Donnie?"

"We don't know! We tried to find his body where his bedroom caved in but we can't find him." Mr. Darko says with tears in his eyes

Suddenly Anna remembered that Donnie leaves the house at night. She hoped that he was still out there doing whatever he does. Even though this was an emergency, Anna still kept his secret. It was not hers to tell.

Once daylight breaks she sees Donnie arrive home on his bike. He was obviously stunned at the caution tape, police, and other official looking vehicles surrounding his home.

Anna breathes a sign of relief and goes back inside her house. Hoping to catch up on some needed sleep.

Once Anna was able to lay back into her bed she wondered how she saw him leave last night but didn't remember going to bed? Maybe she didn't go outside last night and was just dreaming of her secret routine?

Anna's eyes grew tired and she fell into a deep sleep. No parents or younger siblings were able to easily wake her. They all gave up and fended for themselves.