♡ Chapter 24 ♡

July 24th.

The bright sun shined down onto us, making me shut my eyes after opening them for a split second. I yawned, pushed myself up on my elbow, and looked around at the nature.

Morning birds chirped, and judging by the location of the sun, it was around 10 am. The fire had died out overnight, but the smoky scent still lingered in the air.

"Hey," I nudged Nic. "The sun's up now."

His eyes open slowly, and he pushes himself up. With morning hair, he looks around and yawns.

"I need a shower. I'm shivering at the thought of a bug touching me last night," I say while standing up, dusting all of the dirt off of my clothes.

Nic stands up, too, and runs a hand through his hair in an attempt to tame it.

"We should be able to get down pretty easily with the sun out," Nic says. "Especially if we pass some moms going for their morning hike here with their crusty white dogs."

As if summoned, a middle aged woman rounds the corner in bright pink workout clothes, a bright pink headband, and a small white dog on a leash. Good for her, honestly. I'd rather die than do a hike every morning.

"Excuse me!" I wave at her. She slows to a stop and removes one of her headphones. "Which direction is it to get back down?"

She points behind her, "Go around the corner, and follow the left hand side."

"Thank you," I smile at her.

She puts her headphone back in and continues walking.

Nic and I begin taking steps, and I start pulling pieces of leaves out of my hair with disgust written on my face.

"I don't trust people who enjoy camping," I mumble while shivering after pulling a small stick out of my hair. "I think I'd rather die."

"Doesn't surprise me, princess," he turns to look at me. "Don't think you can survive without your Gucci and Chanel."

I nod in agreement, "Exactly. And Prada."

We head down the trail, and the entire time we walk, all I can think about is how badly I want to shower. I'll need to spend a full hour in there just to disinfect myself.

"So, you want to stay in Italy forever?" Nic asks me.

The question makes me bite the inside of my mouth while I thought.

I shrug, "I don't know. I've never really thought about it."

I turn to look at him and ask, "Do you?"

The sun makes his blue eyes look even lighter, and makes the edges of his black hair have a white glow.

"Don't think so. Unlike you, everybody there knows my name and face. I have too many enemies to stay there forever," he tells me. "Once we kill Hades, I think I'm gone."

My eyebrows raise and my lips part.

"Really?"

"Yea. Once we're back in Italy, I'll get all my shit together, and find somewhere else to live."

His words make me feel disappointed. I don't want him to leave. The thought of it creates something heavy in my stomach.

"Oh."

That's all I can say.

I don't talk for the rest of the walk. And even when we reach the car, I don't sigh in relief. I just get in, and think.