Guarded

Out of nowhere, something hits my legs full force, and I wobble a bit, trying my best not to fall over. "Aunty Rain!" Lou shouts as she wraps my legs in a hug.

"Whoa there, little girl. Not so hard next time. You almost knocked me down." I say, reaching down and ruffling her hair.

"Daddy said the doggies slowed you down. Did they eat you up? Is that why you have a big bandage? Who is he? Did he save you? Did the doggies eat him up too? Where's your room? Are you staying close to me and daddy?"

"Hold on, Lou. Slow down. One question at a time. Yes, the doggies slowed me down but I'm here. And yes, my room is right next to yours and your daddy's. Now, let's go find your daddy. I have some stuff I need to do." I say opening the door of the mess hall. The wind blows in my face as I wait for Lou to follow.

"Daddy is asleep. He told me to go find you."

"Hmmm. Then what am I going to do with you?"

I ask pretending to be confused.

"Take me to the liar barry. I want to look at some books." She says.

"The library is across town, near a single fig tree. You can't miss it." Altair says, stepping outside as well. I jump, I was so caught up in my conversation with Lou that I forgot he was there. "Just head in that direction." He says pointing.

I really don't want to take the kid with me, but I don't want Altair to be suspicious, either. Guess I'm taking the kid.

"Where are you going?" Lou asks him.

"That's personal." He says. "If you need anything, Rain, just ask around. Someone will point you in my direction. I'm happy to help."

"Altair?" I call after him.

"Yes?"

Lightning flashes across the sky, casting eerie shadows in a quickly darkening world. "Do you always help all of the new people like this?" I see something change on his face. It's so quick that it leaves me wondering if it was just a shadow or something.

"Only the pretty ones." With that, he turns and walks away. "By the way," he calls out without turning around, "you may want to head for the underground bunker, the weather can get pretty bad around here."

He's lying. I don't know why or how I know, but something about him is off. I watch as he walks further and further away, and then as he climbs the steps of a distant building. He opens the vine covered doors and disappears inside. What is he up to? What is going on in this place? I've been to many different towns, some of them had been raided, but none of them had a private military. What's so special about this place? I guess there's only one place to find out.

I take Lou by the hand and walk in the direction Altair pointed out. We pass by several buildings, one of which is heavily guarded. What could possibly be in there that requires so many guards? I have too much I need to do; I'll worry about what they are guarding, later. A large fig tree, loaded down with plump purple figs, seems to stand guard beside a gray stone building. The wind rustles through its leaves, occasionally shaking a few figs loose, and causing them to splat on the grass. That building must be the library. We walk up the five stairs and pull open the heavy wooden doors. I set Lou up with about five or six children's books and start searching.

I search book after book, row after row. Nothing. There is nothing of importance, here. Where are they? Where are the city's logs? The history of this place? They have to be here somewhere. Why has someone gone through the trouble of hiding them? "Ugh!" I shout, taking my hand and pushing a whole row of books off of a shelf.

"You okay, Aunty Rain?" Lou asks. I pop my head around the corner of a bookshelf and see her looking up from the book she is reading.

"Yes, I'm fine. Just keep reading your books. Aunty Rain has some business to take care of."

"I can't read, Aunty Rain. I'm only four." She says, giggling.

"Well, just look at the pictures and stay here until I come back for you, okay?" I say not really paying her any attention.

"Okay." She says looking back at her books, again.

I walk to the big doors, open them, and turn to take one last look at her. Still peacefully reading. Good. I turn back around and march out the doors. I pause at the bottom of the stairs. Where would I hide the city logs if I didn't want anyone to read them? My eyes scan the part of town I can see, while I think. The local schoolhouse where they teach children the importance of farming sits nearby. The main building where they handle incoming and outgoing people sits across from the school. And one smaller building with armed guards standing out front sits on the other side of the school building. I wonder what's in there. Food? Weapons? The missing town logs? If it's secrets, I'm after, what better place to find them, than in there? But how do I get in? Maybe all I have to do is ask. Or will I have to find a way to sneak in? I decide to try the direct method, first. I pass by several small houses on the way, stopping to look in a few windows. Sure, it's a bit weird to be looking in someone's window but I have to know if any of them are hiding any secrets.

"Hey, guys. What's in there?" I ask as soon as I get near the guards.

"Nothing much. Just some of Altair's personal property." Says one guard.

"Nothing that concerns you." Says another guard.

"I take it, I'm not allowed in there?" I ask. I quickly check out the building while I'm talking. Along the left side of the building, I see a bush that grows near the door. This bush, from where I am standing, completely blocks the view of the side of the house.

"Not unless he takes you in there, himself." Says the first guard.

"Now, hit the road." Says the second guard. "Loitering is not allowed near here." He steps forward and nudges me with the barrel of his gun.

"Why don't you head for the shelter with everyone else?"

"Are you guys going too?" I ask.

"That's none of your concern." Says the guard who poked me with his gun.

Okay, looks like I'm checking out this building the hard way. I feel a small twinge of guilt at the thought of breaking in, but Altair did tell me if I had any questions all I had to do was ask him. And while I am not asking him anything, I do have questions that need answering. "Okay, okay. I'm gone. Heading for the shelter now." I say, holding up my hands to show my compliance. "Uh, which way would that be?"

"That way." Says the first guard, pointing back behind me.

I start walking back the way I came, and I can feel their eyes watching me leave. As soon as I get far enough away, I turn to my left, duck behind a building, and start easing my way to the backside of the guarded building. I will not be dissuaded that easily. Once along the back of the wall, I casually peer around the left side of the building. Just as I thought, the bush blocks my view of the soldiers and their view of me. I look around and only see one other person, nearby. But she seems to be headed somewhere in a hurry and doesn't pay me any attention. Good. This side of the building has a window, just a few feet away from me.

I silently creep to the window and look in. I can't make out much, because the room is dim. A streak of lightning streaks across the sky and I notice movement from the right side of the room. It catches my eye and I realize it's Altair. His back is to me, and he appears to be talking to someone, his hands gesture wildly. The glass from the window feels cold against my cheek but, try as I might, I can't see whom he is talking to. I shift around for a better view and accidentally kick the side of the house. A loud thudding noise is heard, and Altair's head whips in my direction, and I duck out of sight. My heart is pounding in my chest. Did he see me?