Chapter 6 - Iron's Welcome

I wonder what it feels like being a golf's ball.

This is not a question a normal person usually asks herself.

It's not like, during your chilly Sunday morning while half asleep and with your feet still under the blankets, you start pondering on the feelings of a little object thrown at 176 km per hour just for fun.

Well...after that I knew what it felt like, and it wasn't pleasant. At all. You're so damn fast that everything around you just melts into a blur. You can't see anything.
You can't distinguish anything.
You can only stay there and wait for the world to retrieve somewhat of a physically recognizable form.

Unbeknownst to me, the planet below me had not the shapes and the colors I was used to, resembling more the place I left not long ago: the ground seemed fake, spectral, as one's sight could easily go through it and gaze at the darkness below. Many colorful currents, lakes and oceans scattered here and there, some bright while others slightly dimmer, while millions of microscopic floating lights populated that spectral land.

If I could see that scenery I would have described those little lights as an infinite field of coneflowers. It would have also reminded me of one of those photos made by high altitude drones, where the camera was so high that the scenery was not flat like a photo made on the ground, but spherical with the endless sky disappearing in the horizon, beyond the earth.

But alas, I was still trapped into the "Blur".

I wondered what I looked like from the outside. If I was falling brightly as a comet or if I was invisible to the world below.

I'm not going to lie: If I had to jump into a totally new world, an entrance like a comet's fall would be pretty sick.

The two small groups of lights beneath me now were close enough for me to distinguish numbers and variation of brightness: twenty to thirty in total, the brightness was completely casual, I didn't see any pattern in it. I was falling directly into the larger group, with many lights stacked close to each other while two of them were a little outside the edge.

When I felt the need, I "closed my eyes" letting my soul into something warmer..... a body.

In those first moments I felt like an intruder, similar to pushing for space on a full train.

The true owner was there. Then, whoever it was, the presence disappeared as if it was never real, leaving me with a sudden sensation of guilt, and freedom.

Did I just kick someone out of his own body?!

I did not have time to think more deeply about what happened, as a new wave of feelings assaulted me. It was kind of nostalgic but........... they were not welcome feelings: the emptiness of hunger, a burning pain in my eyes, the dryness of my throat and a sense of fragility and overwhelming fear I could not explain.

Someone grabbed me by my armpits, then threw me as some kind of puppet on a flat solid surface.

Ohy!

That was not the peaceful awakening I was expecting, in a forest or in a village, in the embrace of my "new" parents.

Noises finally came to my ear: rustling of steel, scratching of wood, voices, laughs, screams and cries.

As I struggled to open my eyes, a hand grabbed my face and raised it, putting something around my neck. Something tight and cold.

I did not have to imagine what that was. It was obvious.

A collar.

I freaked out.

Forcing my eyes open, I tribed to see what was going on but everything was blurry, a mess of colors.