chapter two

The hallway cleared as I walk through. Humans stay on the side because I'm popular at school, and the werewolves move because I'm their future Alpha. I go to my locker where all my friends are waiting.

"Alpha," they say in unison.

"Steph. Jake. Allison. John." I greet.

My friends and I have basically become family. We spent our entire childhoods together. Steph is my Beta. Jake and John, both twins, are my Gamma, and Allison is the daughter of the best warrior in the pack.

My head snaps to the left, as my friends banter. My wolf is getting antsy. I start to follow his directions. Once I'm in the middle of the hallway, I smell the most intoxicating smell of chocolate chip cookies and a hint a mint.

"Mate! Mate!" My wolf, Xavier, chants. "Find Mate! Mate is here!"

I follow the smell through the school but am interrupted by Jake, "Yo, Key, where did you go man? You just started to walk away all weird."

I snap out of my daze and face Jake. "Oh, nothing. I thought I smelt something weird." He just nods lazily, pretending to agree with me. "You head to class. I'll be there."

I follow the little linger in the hallway to the Science wing of the school. I stop in front of one of the Chemistry classrooms. The teacher is already here, but I can't go in because she's human. I don't have the same authority as I would if it were someone from my pack.

I look in the classroom hoping to see a peak of my Mate, but there are so many girls here. It could be anyone. Some of the girls catch a sight of me and start to smile flirtatiously.

"Xavier, do you see Mate?" I ask.

Xavier responds hastily, "No, I don't see her, but I can sense she is here."

The warning bells rings, causing both Xavier and I to groan. I peel myself away from the class door. I walk to gym class, which is my least favourite class because my uncle teaches it. He loves to torture me.

I don't understand the point of going to school, but in my pack, the Alpha must finish high school before taking power, unless there are circumstances that do not permit them to. My Uncle makes us ran fifteen laps before making us do jumping jacks for forty-five minutes. Then, my favourite part, a good-old game of dodgeball.

Due to being a wolf, I'm barely tired from the workout. But the humans are dying, so I pretend to be tired as well. Can't hurt their egos.

After the game of dodgeball, I run to the changeroom to take a shower. I avoid my uncle because he loves to talk to me after class. I sprint to the Science wing, hoping to see my Mate.

"Mate's not here, right now," Xavier says.

I sniff and try to track her down. She's in the washroom. I lean back on the wall parallel to the washroom and wait. I keep my ears alert, trying to hear if anyone else is in their with Mate. I hear nothing. I sniff again, trying to figure out if Mate is a human or a wolf.

"Mate's a wolf!" Xavier exclaims. He's probably excited because he won't have to explain to Mate if she were a human. Now, he can mark her at once. I hear the facet running. Butterflies fill my stomach.

The door gently opens. Mate is so small. I can't see her face because her hair is covering it. Once she takes a step out of the washroom, she stills.

Xavier takes control, "Mate!"

He grabs her and pulls her close. He gently puts her against the wall, so she is caged in. I struggle to get control of Xavier. He carefully moves his hand up and caresses her pink cheeks peaking through, before brushing her hair away from her face.

My stomach drops when I see who my Mate is.