Chapter 6 - A need for understanding

As Dazai entered the agency once again, he immediately saw that his previous apprentice had left and so had Atsushi.
The brunet made his way over to the social area of the offices and flopped onto the sofa. Subconsciously dialing Atsushi's number on their flip phone, he anxiously awaited the weretiger to answer.
He hated phone calls with a passion.
"Atsushi! How are you"
"U-Um I'm fine Dazai why what's up"
"I was wondering if you wanted to go on a stroll later! I have something I'd like to discuss with you. "
The line was silent for a moment, the detective could almost hear his apprentices brain scrolling through his calendar religiously for a completely free slot in his day where he can set aside time for his mentor.
"Mmm... "
The concentration was intense. Dazai could even see Akutagawa looking at him with a confused, bewildered look which put a smirk on the brunets face.
"I'm available around half past six, if you like we can meet up in a café Dazai and have some dinner! "
The young adults voice was so cheery and child like he couldn't help but agree.
"Ah sounds good Atsushi, I'll text you and address!"
Osamu immediately hung up and was submerged in the dread of their upcoming meeting. It raised countless amounts of red flags, they were lucky they had some time to figure things out. He was not looking forward to it at all but it was imperative they were caught up to speed. He tried convincing himself that it was for future information to help with cases but deep down, they knew it was for his own dying broken heart but he physically couldn't accept that right now. It was too much. He's pretty sure it was to seal his death wish also, because if the scheme didn't work out he may aswell be already burnt to ash in some rotten old carboard box somewhere.

When the brunet reached the cafe his anxiety levels ceased to do anything other than carry on dramatically increasing. It very much adversed to his usual care free irritable persona he liked to put on. The finger skin picking and mouth biting awkwardly worsened as he sat alone in a place where you are meant to eat pastries and drink coffee. Luckily it wasn't too long until Atsushi arrived.
The weretiger gave him a carefree wave as he approached the table.
"Have you ordered anything yet Dazai?"
The brunet broke away from his thoughts and refocused on the matter at hand.
"No not yet Atsushi, it's rude to eat without your peers and also I'm not that hungry, I had a late lunch anyways"
If water counts as lunch that is.
The brunets smile puts the teenager at ease and decides to order.
His apprentice orders what he wants and then a coffee for Dazai.
"So what did you want to talk about?"
He looked blindly at his mentor. Big dopey eyes and an innocent look on his face.
He was such a cinnamon roll.
"Ah yes, I wanted to catch up! We haven't for a while and I wondered how you final battle went. I know you and Akutagawa were on difficult terms. I hope it wasn't too much for you"

The brunet almost felt guilty for acting dumb. He knew full well the reactions of his apprentices were going to be because of his actions, but what he needed to know was what happened after he paired them up.
"Well after you hung up we had a big fight. I regret it in some aspects but if it hadn't happened we wouldn't have made it to where we are now so I see no reason to wish it never occured if that makes sense?"
Dazai listened intently.
"Yes I understand"
More than you might think
The teenager cleared his throat and continued.
"S-so afterwards wasn't really important so I'll skip to the big battle bit I guess"
Dazai wasn't sure if he needed the bits inbetween but he was about to find out.
"So on the top of the blimp/ship thing? we were getting pretty beaten up."
I counted on you figuring out your differences but what did that achieve!?
"Things weren't going too well because we weren't working together as a team and just didn't want to be compared to one another haha"
The teenager nervously scratched his head.
"But in the end and I got a bit fed up with all the memories in my head saying I'm the problem that I'm not good enough and remembering what Akutagawa had meant in the argument earlier. To sum it up, I listened to what he had to say and what his opinions truly were. After we got a better understanding of one another and we kind of? didn't see each other as enemies and incompatible, we started to see similarities and used that to our advantage. "
Atsushi had almost finished his order. Dazai hadn't touched his coffee.
"I guess we just kind of saw each other without our worldly situations."
His apprentice was getting fidgety because Dazai wasn't saying anything.
"I know it sounds ridiculous-"
Dazai immediately stopped him.
"Not at all Atsushi this was very educational. I'm glad the battle and celebration afterwards at the agency was good. Now I must be on my way! I have things to do believe it or not! I'll see you tomorrow! "
With that the taller male rose from his seat and left the table swiftly.
"But Dazai your-"
He couldn't finish before the cafe door closed.
"Guess I'll get back to Akutagawa"
Atsushi paid and left soon after.