🍁 Three : New Acquaintance

NEW ACQUAINTANCE

NEW ACQUAINTANCE

The morning sunlight cast a warm glow on the suburban street as Jake arrived at the house, keeping his promise to Vincent about the new truck and the vanity desk. 

The anticipation of exploring the neighborhood lingered in the air.

Meanwhile, Genevieve was in high spirits, energetically unpacking and decorating the living room while the boys were out. 

The upbeat tunes of ABBA's "Dancing Queen" enveloped the house, inspiring Genevieve to dance as she worked.

With each sway and step, she wiped off the dust from a vase in the living room, completely immersed in the rhythm. 

As she turned to glance out of the window, her eyes widened at the sight of a woman.

The woman, appearing to be in her sixties, waved cheerfully at Genevieve, holding a box of food in her hands. 

In a burst of friendliness, Genevieve assumed this must be a neighbor. She quickly placed the vase on the table and opened the door.

"Good morning! I'm Mancy, your neighbor, and I'm living next door," Mancy greeted with a warm smile, her pinkish, chubby cheeks adding to her amiable demeanor.

Genevieve reciprocated the warmth, grinning. "Hello, Mancy. It's good to see you."

Mancy, with a kindness that seemed almost effervescent, explained that she had baked brownies with her six-year-old grandson for the new neighbors. 

She handed the delightful treat to Genevieve, who accepted it with genuine delight.

"Thank you. It's really kind of you, Mancy," Genevieve expressed, examining the box with delight.

Mancy chuckled, "No worries, I enjoy baking for the new neighbors. You are more than welcome to come over to my house."

Genevieve, considering the invitation, replied, "I'll see about that."

With a nod, Mancy inquired, "You haven't introduced yourself. What's your name, dear?"

"I'm Genevieve. You can call me Evie," she said with a smile.

Mancy complimented, "Such a beautiful name, Evie." However, her curiosity didn't stop there. Peeking behind Genevieve, she asked, "What about your husband? I should get to know you two along the way."

As the conversation continued, Mancy's inquisitive nature led her to ask about Genevieve's husband more. "So, your husband must be outgoing type?"

Awkward laughter followed. "Oh, well, not exactly. Actually, he's out with some friends in the neighborhood. I didn't feel like joining them."

Mancy, undeterred. "Ah, I see. Well, you should consider joining us. The neighbors here are quite friendly, you know."

"Maybe next time. I appreciate the offer, though."