The Asshole

Bruners Bay was small, hardly bigger than ten blocks. Town square took up two of those blocks- with family owned businesses, not a McDonald's in sight. The two streets were pretty similar, with mismatching buildings and very specific stores. Each specializing in something, a book store, a fish market and even a shop devoted entirely to wood carvings. After walking down Main Street, I found exactly what I was looking for. A quaint jewelry boutique, called 'Anna's'. As I walk through the glass door a small bell rings. "Welcome! How can I help you?" Calls a friendly voice from behind a glass counter. A woman in her late thirties, who must be Anna- seems to be polishing a locket. Once she looks up from the necklace, her mouth gapes open. "Hi." I say awkwardly. "Do you happen to have any dragonfly necklaces?" I mutter. My words don't seem to reach Anna, she just continues to stare. "Sorry!" She says abruptly, shaking her head. "I thought you were someone else." She says hurriedly under her breath, walking towards the back corner of the display case. "I do have dragonfly and butterfly pendants over here." She says, unlocking the case. She pulls out the pendants and lays them in front of me.

After glancing at each pendant, I decide on matching gold dragonfly necklaces. One for Lu and one for Henry, for their birthday next week. "Would you like them in gift wrapping?" She asks kindly. "Yes please." I say tapping my fingers against the glass of the display case. Anna wraps the necklaces quickly, and brings them over to me. "Sorry to ask, but would you happen to be related to Samantha Webb? It's just, you could be twins." She asks, curiosity getting the better of her . "She was my Mom." I say quickly. Her eyes widen with understanding, putting two and two together- realizing that I was the baby my Mom had her senior year. "Do you accept cash?" I mumble. "Yes, yes- we do." She says kindly. I can tell from her expression she can't wait to call up her friends, to rekindle my Mom's 'scandal's'. I pay quickly and walk straight to Dan's Market across the street.

I shopped fast at Dan's, collecting all the ingredients for the roasted lamb Miri wanted to make tonight. Walking down the aisles, shoppers glanced at me with the same look Anna had. Eyes wide and confused, one lady even dropped a jar of peanut butter. My Mom had told me about her teen years in Bruners Bay. Claiming she was a 'Celebrity' in her hometown for all the wrong reasons. I always thought she was exaggerating until now. Once I checked off all the ingredients on Miri's list, I payed hastily at the register and lugged my plastic bags towards the car.

I began crossing the street and heard a loud grumble. A car engine. Then the screeching of breaks. I begin to run, but my legs are tangled in the heavy bags- with no time to move I slam my eyes shut. Air whooshes up to me and a black hubcap slams into one of my bags sending it hurling across the pavement. I stand frozen in place, breathing slowly. Then my anger sets in. "What the fuck!" I screech, searching for the driver. A blonde guy climbs out from the drivers seat. The asshole from Laverne's. "What the fuck!" I repeat staring at him. "Sorry, I didn't see you." He states calmly, searching my body looking for injuries. "Did I hit you?" He says eyebrows scrunched together. "No but you massacred my fucking lamb!" I exclaim, pointing at the grocery bag that went flying down the street.

"Don't get you panties in a twist." He murmurs. "Don't get my panties in a twist? What are you a fucking grandpa!" I say, dropping my grocery bags to the ground. I stare him down, locking my scowl onto where I imagine his eyes are. He was wearing some dumbass sunglasses, even though it was practically raining. "Give me ten bucks." I demand, crossing my arms over my chest. "What?" He sputters. "Ten bucks!" I say, sticking my hand out. "Why?" He says, clearly irritated. "For my roadkill, previously known as lamb chops. Also for my stupid life you almost cut short Asshole." I deadpan. "Fine!" He says. "For your stupid roadkill and stupid life." He mutters digging through his wallet. He passes me the bill, I snatch it from his hand and place all my shopping bags in my arms storming off towards Dan's.