The Future is Female

OCHAKO

Ochako was feeling pretty confident about the last two days of exam week. It would be two straight days of practical simulations. One day of rescue and one day sparring matches. Rescue simulations would be a breeze for her,  and after the internship with Gunhead she was more than confident in her combat skills. She had improved drastically since the last exams and she was pumped to prove it. 

She was a bit less pumped about the next few minutes, however. The grades from the written exams were about to be posted. She had studied and tried her hardest on the written exams the last few days, but she was nervous about how she did.

Ochako meant it when she had told Katsuki that she didn't think she was as good as he was academically. Every quarter when the rankings came out, the sense of dread and disappointment followed. She just never seemed to measure up. 

The minutes passed by far too quickly and Mr. Aizawa finished hanging up the notice on the wall. Everyone made a dash to see their place, but Ochako stood back. It wasn't as though the paper would disappear before she reached it.

As usual, Katsuki made it to the front of the class first. 

"Out of the way, extras." He scanned the names and his signature cocky grin appeared. "I knew you never stood a chance, nerd." 

Deku appeared next to him and frowned at his place below Katsuki. "Of course Kaachan would do better in math but I thought for sure I had him in English." He pulled out his notebook and began to mumble to himself.  

Katsuki's eyes scanned the paper again and his smile softened. He turned and began casually walking away with his hands in his pockets.

"If you or that half and half bastard do any worse you extras are gonna lose your spots." He called nonchalantly over his shoulder brushing past her down the hall. 

Though he wasn't looking at her, she could make out a smile from his profile. 

What does that mean? Ochako thought, walking over to the board. When she read the listing she gasped. 

For the first time since she started in UA she had made the top 5 in the class's academic rating. Tying with Todoroki she had managed to squeeze into the number 5 spot. 

KATSUKI

Katsuki was wondering if it would be weird to "reward" Ochako for scoring in the top 5 slots of the class. Even if she did have to share it with that damn Icy Hot bastard. It wasn't like she had done it for HIM. She was studying to be a top tier hero just like he was. 

But that didn't stop the swell of pride in his chest. He always felt like this when she was showing how strong she was. When she flipped from being the timid and people pleasing girl she always seemed to be, and instead became the strong and methodical fighter. 

He meant it when he said he wanted her to get her shit together this week. And hopefully, seeing her name in print alongside the other academically strong students, would put an end to her feeling less intelligent than the extras in their class. And himself. 

It would be a lie if he said he didn't wait just outside the classroom to hear her reaction to seeing the grade postings. Her cute gasp reminded him a lot of their time together, and he had to remind himself that he was still in the school building. 

Maybe instead of calling it a reward,  he could word it as them celebrating her success.

He texted shitty hair to meet him in the gym. He needed to spar. 

OCHAKO

It didn't matter what happened the rest of the day, the bubbly pink girl felt like she was floating-

Fuck I AM floating

"Release", she mumbled, drifting slowly back into her bed. 

After the grades were posted, the class had headed out to the JSA for rescue simulations. She had been paired with Tsu and Jirou to rescue survivors out of a collapse building. Honestly she couldn't have asked for a better team up. And the grade ranking must have gotten to her head because she found herself taking charge of the entire situation. They finished the simulation in record time. All survivors were brought to the triage tent and the debris was cleared away to make the area safe for rebuilding. 

Not only did the three girls get the highest marks but 13 herself actually pulled ochako aside to tell her how impressed she was with how the girl handled the emergency. She almost fangirled as hard as DEKU... almost.

She was so thrilled that she called her parents as soon as she returned to her room.

Her mother answered immediately and she could hear the muffled sound of her quickly locating her dad. 

"Hey sweety!" They both yelled in unison when the phone was settled. 

"Hey mom and dad! How are you!?" She asked, kicking off her shoes and flopping onto her bed. 

"We are doing great honey. Is everything alright? We weren't expecting you to call until tomorrow," her mother sounded worried. 

"Well everything is great!" She assured them. "More than great" 

Propped on her elbows she relayed the days events to them, pretending to get annoyed when they interrupted to tell her how proud they were. The warm familiarity in their voices were soothing, and once again she felt the pang of homesickness.

I'm doing this for all of us. She reminded herself.

"Just one more test before exam week is over! And then I'll come see you guys." 

"That's great sweetheart. You said it was the combat exam next right?" Her mother sounded worried

"Yeah-" she began

"Have you asked your teacher not to pair you against that feral boy?" Her father interrupted. "I don't want you fighting against him again."

"Dad! His name is Bakugou. And I'm not going to avoid fighting with him." Her voice was firm.

She hated whenever her father brought up the fight. Katsuki had treated her as an equal and everyone seemed to believe he should have used kid gloves.

"I'm sorry honey," her mother cut in quickly, " your father is just worried. That boy might be a little dangerous."

"Kat- Bakugou," she corrected quickly, "isn't dangerous."

Not to me, anyway. 

"I see." Her mother said, and ochako didn't like the knowing tone. "Anyway, tell us about your week and your friends sweetheart. We've missed hearing you." 

"I've missed you guys, too."

It wasnt a lie, she was looking forward to the upcoming break. But the timing of her 'reunion' with Katsuki was definitely a little inconvenient. 

Eventually, her parents had to go back to work so they ended the call, leaving Ochako with a warm feeling as she stared up at the ceiling. 

Honestly the only thing that would make this day better, was.....

MOCHI.