Chapter 1

"Get this woman whatever she wants Amelia, or I swear if she leaves, your ass will be following her right out that same door, and it ain't gon look pretty"

I sighed, tears pooling to the brim of my eyes as I tore my gaze away from my boss to meet that lady's cold gaze.

Her eyes looked dead...

I looked at her helplessly, just to be met by her heated glare in response as she shook her foot impatiently. "I-I'm sorry ma'am..." My voice broke as I apologized, "Can you please repeat your order?"

"Damn it!" She snapped, slamming both her palms on top of the counter. I jumped at the loud thud, stumbling back. "How many fuckin' times do I need to repeat myself, ya stupid lil brat! If ya can't prepare a single, simple order they shouldn't be puttin' ya here!" She spat out. "For the tenth time! A venti triple latte with non-fat and 1% milk, 6 pumps of SF vanilla, no foam, and 6 Splenda packets, stirred!" She yelled with a scratchy voice. "How. hard. is that." She whisper-yelled through gritted teeth.

Just like almost everyone else in this little town, her voice was laced with the same accent as boss'. Even though I got an accent of my own, I loved the authenticity in hearing them speak, just listening to years and years of history within their voices. Yet I thought I'd never hate someone's voice more than I hated boss' until I met this woman.

I stared at her in defeat. "M-ma'am I've been trying to tell you.." I sniffled a sob. "Sugar-free vanilla syrup and Splendas are not of our acquisition at the current moment." I clarified, trying to sound as polite as I can be. "For the time being, I can substitute that for you with regular vanilla syrup and any other sugar of your taste."

I mentally swore at my eyes for choosing the wrong moments to spill an endless stream of tears, painting me as a weak coward in front of every soul present in the room. 

I am no coward.

Just trying to survive...

Her jaw tightened as she gritted her teeth even harder now, and her lips squeezed into a tight line, causing the skin above to form hard crinkles, and just as she opened her mouth to snap at me once again, boss' voice roared through the now empty space.

Guess everyone left mid-argument...

I'm going to pay for that...

"Enough!" I winced as his scream echoed through the place.

I've always hated screaming...

"Ya useless piece-a-nothing! Ya think ya could wiggle your way through failure just by using some fancy language?!" His eyebrows furrowed, and his gaze burned with fury as he continued to humiliate me. "Always making my customers leave and never being able to do the job right!" He furiously stomped in my direction, making me take a step back, even though I knew I got the counter as a barrier between us.

"I'm making no room for Margret to step in this time. I've had enough!" He stopped abruptly in front of the opposite side of the counter and reached for my purse, clutching it hard in his hand, and to my absolute horror, he tossed it far out the door.

He then gestured to the open door. "Now ya follow it."

Disgust laced his gaze and tore down at me. I tore my gaze away from his, a harsh sob escaping my lips as I stared at the open door that now showed the puddle in which my purse landed...

Bad luck...?

I dragged my heavy feet towards the puddle, and bent down to pick up my drenched purse. I forced my feet to keep moving and myself to not just stand there and mourn the only piece of accessory I owned and the amount of my savings I spent on it.