Chapter Eight

'I have to hurry, her foster dad might get to her place before I do. No, wait... What if she wants to kill me? Maybe I should turn back? No, no, no... She wouldn't do that, I know it,' Spencer debated to himself.

He couldn't figure out if he should protect Olivia from her foster father or not. He also had the new realization he could be her next victim. Potential victim if she was the true unsub. Nothing made sense to him anymore. Even though his mind wasn't thinking straight, he knew there was only one real option to choose.

'I should go. He will kill her if I don't do anything about it,' he thought as he pulled up into her driveway. 

He took a deep breath before unbuckling his seat belt. He opened the car door to get out. He closed it behind him, taking one more deep breath to calm himself down. He started walking to her front door. As soon as he reached her front door, he rang the doorbell. 

He waited.

And waited.

And waited. 

There was no answer. He started to worry, thinking of all the worse scenarios possible. Was he too late? Or did she just fall asleep? Out of the corner of his eye, he saw that the gate leading to the backyard was swinging open and close. He slowly walked toward the gate and opened it just wide enough so that he could fit through without being too noticeable. He felt his heartbeat racing, nervous to find what was around the corner. He took in two deep breaths and pulled out his gun slowly. He raised it up and turned the corner ever so slowly to not make a sound. As he peeked around the corner more, he saw something near the pool. 

The unsub?

Olivia's cold, lifeless body?

A fresh blood trail?

What he saw made him lower his gun and slightly part his mouth in awe. He saw Olivia standing by the pool edge in a bikini, drying herself off with a towel. 

'Phew, she's safe,' Reid thought as he stepped one foot forward to go walk towards her. 

He accidentally stepped on a twig as he silently approached her. The crisp snapping of the twig in the dead of night caught Olivia's attention. She turned around quickly and screamed out of terror. Reid was confused for a second until he realized he was still holding his gun in his hand. In the pitch dark, he looked like an intruder in her backyard. 

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you like that," Reid said while putting his gun away. "I just saw that your back gate was open and I thought something happened."  

"That gate never stays closed and it's okay. It's not like I just suffered from an acute heart attack or anything," Olivia joked. 

Reid looked at her puzzled. "That was a joke, right?" 

"Yes, very much a joke," Olivia said. 

She then walked over to her lawn chair to pick up her pink robe to put on. She then looked back up to Reid. She graciously smiled at him as he looked over to her back door and then back at him. 

"Coming inside?" She asked as she walked to her back door. 

"Yeah, of course," he said following right behind.

As they entered her kitchen, she went straight to her cabinet. She took down to wine glasses, which Reid assumed was for the both of them. She then kneeled down to open her bottom cabinet. She soon popped up with two wine bottles in her hand.

"Red or white wine?" She asked. 

"Umm, I'm kinda on the job still," he said. 

"I'm not trying to get you wasted. I'm offering you something to drink," she giggled.