Chapter Two

Reid awkwardly waited until Olivia finished writing down some information about what she knew about Alex that would help the case on a little notepad that he had provided for her. When he saw her hand stop scribbling and she looked up at him, he believed that that was his cue to start talking. He nervously smiled at her as he took the notepad and pen from her.

"So, you from here?" Reid asked.

Olivia looked at him puzzled then smiled. "Of course. Are you?"

"Obviously not. I would have seen you around a while ago. Hard to miss someone like you." Reid said.

Olivia looked at him and grinned as she wiped away a stray tear. Spencer counted everyone of her shinny white pearls in her mouth. He wondered if her teeth were naturally straight or if she had braces when she was younger like he did. He tried to lighten the mood to prevent her from crying anymore by giving her a well-needed compliment to distract her.

"I like your teeth," Reid said.

"Um, thank you?" Olivia awkwardly giggled.

'Oh no, awkward...again,' Reid thought to himself.

He wasn't shocked he went from flirty to creepy in two seconds flat. The chatter between them fell flat as they both awkwardly looked away from each other. Reid cleared his throat to bring some sound back to the atmosphere. Olivia looked at him in great curiosity, feeling a little less sad as she saw how nervous he was talking to her, but also noticing how genuine he was lifted her mood.

"Well, continuing."

"What was your past like?" Olivia asked.

Reid looked at her curiously, wondering what evoked such a random question. He could tell immediately she wanted to connect with him on a deeper level, perhaps to understand him better. Perhaps to see if they were alike in some way. He wondered if such personal questions could be exchanged so soon, but he didn't want to present himself as unwilling to answer even if he had to lie.

"Well, a typical childhood," Reid said with a fake smile.

"Wipe that fake smile off your face and tell me the truth," she said.

"That is the truth," Reid lied again.

"Liar," she said.

"I'm not a liar," Reid insisted.

"You're lying about not lying, you're a terrible liar at that too," she said.

Reid sighed. "Okay, I'll tell you a bit, only if you tell me something about you."

Olivia nodded. "Deal. You first."

"Okay, my dad left me and my mom when I was young because my mom was mentally ill and refused to take care of herself," Reid explained.

Olivia looked at him with remorse. She looked away from him and looked as she was contemplating the right way to state her apology. He saw how truly sorry she was for asking the question in the first place, but he wasn't about to make her feel even worse than she already did. 

"I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that," she said.

"It's okay. Now tell me something about you," Reid said, brushing off his unflattering past.

"Well, I'm a foster child," she said.

Reid looked surprised. "I'm-"

"It's okay, you don't have to say sorry. Sorry won't bring them back," Olivia said with a faint smile.

Olivia wiped away a tear forming on the edge of her eyelid. Reid felt bad for even making her talk about this. It was too personal for someone he just met. He knew he asked to gain information from her to potentially aid him in finding out the truth but he felt terrible about it. He was about to say something until Morgan interrupted them.