YOU DIDN'T SEE IT?!

~~MAVERICK~~

"Ladies and Gentleman, fasten your seat belts, follow me home, and prepare to land."

I glance out the side of my recently aquired F-14 and laugh in relief as I see Hangman flying next to us.

Good thing he came when he did, or we would have been toast. Literally.

"Hey, Hangman. You look good!" Rooster yells in the radio behind me.

I can't believe I almost lost Bradley. But we are safe now and I smile so hard my cheeks hurt.

"I am good, Rooster."

I furrow my brows and glance over at Seresin. He stares straight ahead not even bothering to look our way. "What's wrong, Hangman? You just saved our butts! No witty Savior-complex remark?"

"Let's just get you guys back to the carrier, yeah?"

As we near the ship, I speak to the bridge. "Maverick here! Going against the wind. No front landing gear and no brakes. Requesting rope for a hard stop!"

"Hear you loud and clear, Maverick. Good to have you back!"

"Come on...just a little longer." The ancient F-14 jolts and I glance to my side. "Please don't tell me we lost an engine."

"Okay, I won't tell you that." Rooster says behind me.

The net catches us and we grind to a halt. Jumping out, I grab Bradley's neck and we pat each other's backs.

"Thank you for saving my life." I smack his shoulder.

He gazes at me for a long moment and nods. "It's what my dad would have done."

For a moment, it's almost as if Nick is standing right in front of me. His son the spitting image of him.

I smile wide and hug him again. I've made my mistakes...but Tesha was right. Not matter how much the ghost from our past haunt us, we've got to move on and be a better person than we were.

And look forward being a better person than we are.

I spy Hangman, jumping off his plane and crouching down at one of the wheels. He stares off at the ocean not even bothering to take his helmet off. I nudge Rooster and we head over to him.

"Hangman." Rooster starts. "I believe a thanks is due."

His helmet moves to face Rooster and his shoulders shrug as he scoffs. "Save it." He growls, sniffling and wiping his nose.

I glance around the deck. Something isn't right here.

"Say, where's Tesha? I want my glasses back." Rooster chuckles, following my line of sight to the empty space where Tesha's plane should be.

Where it should be...

Hangman rips his helmet off and it clatters on the ground.

I stare at Seresin with my stomach in a knot. "Where is she, Hangman?"

"She's dead." He grimaces out at the ocean and viciously scrapes the back of his hand across his cheek, wiping away a falling tear.