Chapter 3

Alex POV

Karl was acting weird today. Usually he was pretty weird, although I mean, who isn't? Karl was just extra weird. One minute I'd ask him a question and he'd freeze up, not sure what to do, then the next moment I'd raise a hand, or point, he'd freak out, and duck his head, or try to hide.

But today, Karl was acting extra, extra, weird.

He seemed so down, and unhappy. Sometimes he'd wince, or freeze for a second, not moving for a while. Occasionally, he wouldn't start moving again, so I had to pull him out of his trance.

Karl and I were on our way to the school's exit, when I heard a loud sound. I turned around as fast as I could, seeing Nick, holding Karl against a locker.

His face was full of fear, and he winced. Nick was horrible. He hated Karl. On the first day, Nick had done something to Karl, and now he seemed to be in pain constantly.

I heard a whimper from Karl, and turned back to the task at hand.

"NICK GET OFF HIM!" I yelled as I ran up to him, grabbing his shoulders and yanking him off Karl. He stumbled back, and looked at me straight in the eyes. A shiver went down my spine.

"Oh look who it is. Alex. You really think you could win in a fight against me?" Nick responded angrily.

"I'm not gonna fight— just stay away from Karl!"

Karl gave me a look of confusion, and shock. Nick noticed my eyes flickering between him and Karl.

He turned around, grabbing Karl by surprise, and threw him against a locker.

I watched as Karl's limp body fell to the floor.

"NICK! WHAT DID YOU DO?" I screamed at him in concern. My voice was laced in pain.

Karl didn't deserve this. He seemed so fragile, as though he would shatter at the slightest touch.

I had never seen Nick knock someone out before. This was new. He hadn't even done that to any of his other victims.

I ran towards Karl, crumbling to the ground next to him.

"Karl wake up please," I said, shaking him, trying to get him awake.

There was no response from Karl.

"NICK WHAT THE—" He was gone. No sign of him anywhere.

"Oh Karl," I mumbled, doing my best to lift him up.

(Just pretend that Quackity isn't as short as he is in reality... ;)

I stumbled a bit, but made it to my house eventually.

I set Karl down onto my bed, taking off his backpack, and setting it next to mine, by the door. I went downstairs to go get some water, and brought a glass up for him as well.

I made it back to my room, seeing that Karl was still out like a light. I placed the glass of water down for him on my desk.

How could Nick do that? And to Karl of all people. He was already off enough today. I wonder what had happened between the two, yesterday. Why was Nick doing this? Why would Karl jump anytime I got even remotely close to him?

I also noticed that Karl almost never spoke. I'd heard him a couple of times, but whenever he spoke, he'd always tense up.

"W-where am I? W-what's h-happen-happening?" A panicked voice sounded behind me. Karl was finally awake.

Karl POV

I opened my eyes, in a room I had never been in before. Where was I? I sat up, feeling my breathing speed up. Panic filled me, as a person looked at me and smiled.