Chapter one

Grace tried scrubbing the blood and mud off of her body, but it seemed like it just wouldn't come off. ''Teresa! Do you have any more soap?'' 

''You used it all?'' She stared at her hands, covered in dried blood which she couldn't get of. ''Grace?'' She snapped out of her thoughts, seeing the bottle of soap being pushed under the gap. ''Thanks ... '' 

She had finally gotten the blood of her hands and out of her hair, drying her hair with a hairdryer when Teresa stepped out too. Grace stood in front of the mirror, wiping the fog away as she looked at herself. ''Newt was pretty accurate.''

''Right, you haven't seen yourself in ... like ever.'' Teresa spoke as she grabbed a hairbrush, pointing to Grace's hair. ''Want help?'' 

Grace and Teresa met up with the boys in one of the rooms where they were being examined by doctors. She saw Newt sitting on one of the chairs as the doctor next to him filled a syringe with a liquid when Newt became anxious. ''Wait, what is that?''

''Just a little cocktail. Calcium, folate, vitamins A through Z. Pretty much everything you've been deprived of out there.'' He took the plastic of the needle as he looked at the Brit. ''Try to relax.'' His eyes turned to Grace, silently asking her for advice when she nodded. 

''Uhm, I'm looking for Grace?'' She raised her hand slightly, ''Ah perfect, come on up.'' She followed the doctor, jumping up on one of the beds, looking at the blood next to her, quickly averting her eyes. ''So, it's just a simple blood test, you'll barely feel it.'' The doctor saw her glancing away, a small smirk on his face. ''Afraid of needles?'' 

''No, I was a Medjack in our Glade, kinda like a doctor.'' Newt sound her eyes, giving her a reassuring look, the girl passing a smile to him when Janson arrived in the room. 

''Thomas? Come with me, please.'' 

When they were cleared, Grace held onto Newt's hand as they followed two men into a big cafeteria where a lot of voices and laughter entered her ears. They walked into the cafeteria with a lot of other kids and teens. A group was kind enough to let them join their table as they swapped stories. Apparently WICKED didn't create one single Maze, there had to been at least four judging by the amount of teens around them.

She sat between Minho and Newt as she looked around, having to concentrate on the conversation going on between Minho and the others. Minho looked around as he saw Thomas walking into the room, walking up to him. ''Hey Thomas!'' He led him to their table as Grace scooted to the side, so she was sat in between Thomas and Newt, Minho on Thomas' other side.

''And there was this big, loud explosion, and these guys came out of nowhere. Started shooting up the place.''

''It was intense.'' His friend added. ''They pulled us out of the maze and brought us here.''

''What about the rest?'' Newt questioned them, ''The other people left behind in the maze, what happened to them?''

''I don't know. I guess WICKED still has them.'' Grace pursed her lips together, wondering if WICKED, indeed still had some of their other Gladers. ''How long you guys been here?'' Newt questioned again.

''Not long. Just a day or two.'' He nodded and turned to a boy with a hood pulled over his head. ''That kid over there has been here the longest. Almost a week.''

''His maze was nothing but girls.'' Minho turned to the boys with a frown. ''Really?'' Grace chuckled as she turned to Minho shaking her head while Newt pulled her to his side. ''Some guys have all the luck.'' 

''Good evening, gentlemen. Ladies.'' Their heads turned to Janson, who walked in with two other men. ''You all know how this works. If you hear your name called... please rise in an orderly fashion, join my colleagues behind me... where they will escort you to the eastern wing. Your new lives are about to begin.'' He opened up a list before starting. ''Connor. Evelyn. Justin. Peter. Allison. Squiggy.'' Laughter went on as Janson shook his head. ''All right. Settle down. Franklin. And Abigail.'' He closed the list as noises of disappointment went through the crowd. ''Now, now, don't get discouraged. If I could take more, I would. There's always tomorrow. Your time will come. Go on, eat up.''

''Where are they going?'' Minho questioned as the boy from the other Maze spoke. ''Far from here. Lucky bastards.''

''Some kind of farm. A safe place. They can only take in a couple of people at a time.'' His friend continued before Thomas spoke under his breath. ''What the hell?'' He stood up, jogging to a door as Grace turned around, noticing Teresa behind the glass. ''Hey, Teresa? Teresa!'' Thomas was stopped by the two men, talking to them for a bit before he walked back to their table, looking at Grace who tried to see around the corner of the window, not seeing anything but another door.

Night came and the group was brought to their shared room. Grace looked around to see all the bunk beds around them. Frypan clapped in his hand, looking at one of the bunks. ''I got top bunk.'' Minho smirked as he jumped on the top bunk. ''Too slow''

'' I could get used to this.'' Winston spoke as he laid down on the bottom bunk. ''Yeah. It's not bad.'' Newt spoke as he spoke with Thomas. Grace looked around as Thomas put his stuff down on the bed under Newt, the Brit turning to Grace to see if she was alright with it. She nodded as she threw her bag down on the bunk next to Winston's and under Frypan's. 

The night fell and nightmares haunted Grace's sleep, the girl jumping up as she panted. She placed a hand on her heart, feeling the racing beat as she got out of the bed, softly climbing on the ladder leading to Newt's bed. 

''Newt.'' She whispered, softly shaking his body. ''Newt.'' He hummed as he opened his eyes, frowning at the girl. ''Grace? What's wrong?'' 

''I can't sleep ... '' her eyes said it all as he moved over to one side, lifting the blanket up to let her crawl under. ''Com' here.'' She laid against him, letting her head rest on his chest, listening to his heartbeat as he waved his hands through her hair, waiting for the girl to fall asleep. 

Our poor Grace but I love Newt for helping her as much as he can! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated! See you on Saturday!

-X Violet's-library