Prologue

Valerie Barnes was a girl that you would wave to in the hallways. Everyone loved her good looks and polite attitude. If she heard you talking about your sports game, she'd be there supporting you even if she wasn't directly invited.

She had many friends and lots of admirers. Almost every boy in her class would leave notes in her locker or on her desk. She didn't mind this though. She enjoyed the attention.

Oh, I forgot to mention. This popularity is only because of her sister, Christine Barnes. Valerie is basically a clone of her sister. All the younger boys who couldn't be with Christine would shoot their shot with Valerie.

Valerie knew why she was popular but she didn't care. She was glad to not be a loner who walks by herself to classes and laughs at jokes she can't stop thinking about.

That was until October of 1976. Christine was killed in a hit and run accident. A drunk driver had hit her while she was out for a walk. When she didn't come home, Valerie's mom called the police who had received a call about a hit and run with an unidentified victim.

That night was the worst night of Valerie's life. She lost her closest, truest friend. They would never share stupid jokes over breakfast or bump each other's shoulders in the hallway. Those were all old memories now.

As a result of her sister's death, her father decided to leave with no warning. He had said goodnight to Valerie and the next morning he was nowhere to be seen.

Her mom struggled to pay bills, so she would take extra shifts at work. Valerie was free to do whatever she'd like now since her mom was never really home to tell her otherwise.

Whenever Valerie would walk through the hallways at school, people would stare with pity written all over their faces. She knew to keep her head down and find someone new to hang out with because all her old friends were only with her to get closer to Christine.

Valerie found Finney Blake, a former Grabber victim, and decided to befriend him. She's not so lonely anymore. Finney's sister, Gwen, was Valerie's favorite. Her confidence amused the girl. Gwen was never afraid to share her thoughts or call people out on their shit. Valerie loved that about her.

Now that you've caught up on Valerie's life, enjoy the story. :}