Part X

Leaving Idaho

I couldn't say anything before I let out a sob. My mom could be heard through the receiver. She was shouting inaudible things at me as I held the phone at my hip. I placed my forehead in the palm of my hand as I continued to cry.

Everyone in the waiting room had been watching me now. Everyone. I didn't care. I had just found out that my dad murdered my sister. And apparently he had a reason for it. What that reason was? I have no clue. But I am determined to find out.

I finally held the phone back up to my ear and explained everything to my mom. I let a few silent cries escape my lips in between words. The line was cut dead after my mom told me she'd be coming to get me as soon as possible. That's at least a 12 hour wait.

Sitting down, I could hear whispers around me and I could feel eyes on me. People need to learn to mind their business. An older woman—who looks to be mid 40s—approaches me. She sat beside me, burning a hole into the side of my head. "Please stop looking at me.." I mumbled under my breath, yet still loud enough for her to hear me.

"I'm sorry, it's just— are you alright?"

I stared at the woman, examining her features discreetly. "I'm fine." I'm obviously not fine, but it's nothing she needs to worry about.

"Alrighty then." she slapped her hands onto her thighs as she stood up. "Have a nice night."

I watched as she walked over to a seat across the room. She gave me a glance before picking up a magazine, browsing through it. My stomach turned as I thought about being here all night long. The chair I was sitting in was terribly uncomfortable. I could tell whoever bought them tried to find comfortable ones, but they failed. They looked cushioned and comfortable, but they felt rough. My back ached as I leaned against the cushioned seat. My eyes fluttered shut as I thought about seeing my mom and going home.

•_•

I woke up to someone placing their hand on my shoulder. I opened my eyes quickly, grabbing the hand and throwing it off of me. I looked up to see two people in front of me. The female cop from last night and... my mom.

I jumped out of the seat and wrapped my arms around her waist. She placed her hands on my back and laid her head on mine. Being in the embrace of my mom made me feel safe. I felt secure and loved.

As we pulled away from the hug, the female cop placed a hand on my shoulder. "You be safe out there, you hear me?" I nodded at her and smiled lightly. "Can I speak to you for a quick moment?" I looked from the cop to my mom, who nodded.

We walked over to two empty chairs in the corner of the room. She sat down and patted the chair next to her, implying that I do the same. I took a seat and stared at her. She was really pretty. Her light brown hair matched her eyes and her tan skin complimented them nicely.

"If you ever need to talk, I'm here all the time."

"I live in Colorado..?"

"Yes, I'm aware, but if it's that serious, a 12 hour bus ride couldn't be that bad, right?"

I shook my head lightly and stood up from the chair, walking over to my mom and grabbing her hand. I squeezed it tight and held my breath. I was going home.

a/n
SHORT CHAPTER BC MY UNMOTIVATED ASS CANT WRITE ANYTHING GOOD RN
GUESS WHO'S GOING TO HHN ON THE SAME DAY AS BRADY, JACOB, AND TRISTAN???
OML JUST REALIZED AFTER POSTING THAT I USED THAT AUTHORS NOTE CHAPTER FOR THIS ONE AND IT ALREADY HAS 23 READS