Chapter Fifteen: Good Night

The dinner party started at the stroke of seven.

         Jack was shocked when he was told by Daisy that not only Brine was his personal assistant for life, he was also her fiancé.

         “Congratulations to both of you,” Jack said in surprised.

         “Well our engagement was supposed to be told after, well you know,” Daisy tried to explain, “Also your partner agreement to Brine but I thought he already told. So I guess I spilled the beans big time.”

         Brine sighed, “I’ll meet you on the dance floor,” he said in a low voice to Daisy and went inside.

         “Is he always like that?” Jack asked.

         Daisy shook her head, “No, Brine is a bit stubborn because he knows that he is going to serve someone.” She explained.

         After dinner the dancing started in the ball room that was in the middle of a forest and the ceiling had the stars shining through the glass. Everyone was dressed as formal as you could see in a fancy British gathering.

         Jack stood at the punch bowl, watching his family and friends dancing the waltz. There was an instrumental band playing the music. Jack felt like he stood on cloud nine but he was still nervous about what was going to happen later that night.

         “Are you enjoying the night?” said a person in a dark suit with black dress pants with a top hat and pure white gloves on his hands. He poured the pink punch in his clear glass cup.

         “Yes,” he said nodding, “I think everyone is enjoying the night.”

         “That’s not what I meant,” the tone of the stranger changed to a female voice, “are you in particular enjoying the night?”

         “Yes I am,” Jack sounded confused, “why do you ask?”

         “Well you are just standing here by the punch bowl, watching everyone you know have a good time and you are just standing here. Not on the dance floor,” she explained in a clear voice, “why?”

         “I’m waiting for someone to come,” Jack said.

         “Girlfriend?” she asked.

         “No,” he breathed, “just a friend that is important.”

         “Well I bet your friend will like you to enjoy the night before the meet,” the stranger offered her hand, “would you mind?”

         Jack stared at the hand for a moment and nodded, “I don’t think she would mind,” he said putting his hand to hers.

         “You may lead,” she said and they went to the dance floor together.

         As they danced slowly to the music Jack thought he knew the stranger who was staring right at him in the eyes. They sparkled with the stars he saw. When the music changed they parted, the girl walked out to get some fresh air and Jack went back to his post at the punch bowl. Daisy walked up to him and asked who the girl was but he shrugged and Jack said he didn’t know.

         Brine went outside to feel the cold air erase the sweat he had from dancing with Daisy. As he was taking a breather he noticed Max growling at a girl in a suit that ignored him, “Hey Max stop that!” he shouted to him and Max walked to Brine, “Sorry about him.”

         “It’s okay,” the voice sounded familiar, “Max does have a personal reason for hating me but I guess that is not the kind of information you should know of,” the girl turned to him.