Chapter 35: I'm Sorry

"Wait here, Phillip!" Victor hissed at me. I pressed forward. I couldn't let Victor go down there alone to face whoever had just entered my home. Most likely, it was Thomas. Who else could it be?

"I'm not waiting up here to end up kidnapped or dead! If what's down there is anything like you, it could mist up here in a second! And then what would we do?" I pressed my lips together to try and stop their trembling. Never mind that Victor and I had just been in the middle of stripping naked. Never mind that for the first time in my life, I was finally open and willing enough to let someone in, to make out with them, and possibly...maybe even make love to them. Why did the sound of glass have to come crashing down mere seconds away from Victor's pants fully coming off?! I huffed.

Victor raised his eyes to the ceiling, thinking, "Very true, stay close to me. Perhaps it's just a regular burglar? Or maybe those cute little raccoons you love to feed so much. I must admit," he looked sheepishly at me, "that their numbers have grown smaller and I might be to blame."

Shocking...I raised an eyebrow at him, "Really? You think now is the time to tell me this when there is most likely another vampire in our house!" Victor smiled at that 'our house'; it'd slipped my lips before I could even stop it. I blushed, "I mean...whatever...let's go."

Victor smiled at me, then led the way down the stairs as if he hadn't a care in the world. The bottom of the landing revealed that someone had come in. While the door was closed and locked, the bags of red and gold Christmas ornaments lay in various places along my red sofa; one box was open– shards of red and gold glass shattered on the floor. It seemed to have been a mistake. A quick look around revealed that nothing else had been moved around.

"Probably a raccoon," Victor stated. "We did take an awfully long time to bring in that tree. One could have snuck in here. It's not impossible."

But the shattering of another glass from the kitchen made me jump. Victor stood erect, ears open and listening. I wanted to rush toward the sound, but I was also bolted to the floor, shaking. "What the...?"

Victor hushed me, grabbed me by the hand, and led me through the hallway. A picture of my parent's and I lay shattered on the floor. We both froze upon hearing the voice of a young man. "Stupid! Stupid!!" Another glass shattered. "At first, I thought it wasn't him. But it is!" The voice sounded pained as if something horrible had just been realized. I looked up at Victor to see if he felt what I did. Disordered energy was starting to creep its way up my neck. My skin prickled as the young man's voice continued, the sound of footsteps pacing back and forth madly with it.

"The first time I entered this house, I thought I made a mistake. The rooms were empty. No food was in the fridge. Nothing! But I smelled him. And now? Now?! Oh god!" the stranger wailed. I took a step forward, and Victor held me back, silently signaling for me to stay where I was at. He shook his head in warning. I gazed into Victor's glowing red eyes as the timbre of the voice from the kitchen started to rise. "Oh god! What have I done?! What have I done?! I've killed his parents. I've killed them. I didn't know! I had no idea!" Footsteps pounded the floor, becoming more distant.

"He must have no idea we are here," Victor mentally whispered. "Let's keep it that way." I felt a veil pass over me, and when I looked up, I was covered in a dark mist, blending in with the shadows of the living room. Just what tricks did Victor have up his sleeve that he had yet to tell me about?

The wailing started again, but it was worse this time, "My god! He'll hate me! I can't tell him, I can't tell him, he can never know. But what if he finds out? Oh Thomas, what have you done! Why did you let your thirst get the better of you that night? Why did you suddenly go mad with wanting after you saw him sitting on the steps of the theatre? You wanted him and knew you couldn't have him, so you went out and killed his parents...But I didn't know! But I didn't know!! He'll hate you, Thomas! Just leave...leave!"