Chapter 30 | 𝔒𝔫𝔢 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔦𝔫 𝔪𝔦𝔫𝔡

{𝔑𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔯 𝔤𝔬𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔩𝔢𝔱 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔤𝔬. 𝔊𝔦𝔳𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔪𝔶 𝔥𝔢𝔞𝔯𝔱 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔰𝔬𝔲𝔩 ℑ'𝔩𝔩 𝔟𝔢 𝔯𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱 𝔥𝔢𝔯𝔢 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔣𝔬𝔯 𝔩𝔦𝔣𝔢. 𝔒𝔥, 𝔟𝔞𝔟𝔶 𝔞𝔩𝔩 ℑ 𝔴𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔡𝔬 ℑ𝔰 𝔰𝔭𝔢𝔫𝔡 𝔪𝔶 𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔶 𝔰𝔢𝔠𝔬𝔫𝔡 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲. 𝔖𝔬 𝔩𝔬𝔬𝔨 𝔦𝔫 𝔪𝔶 𝔢𝔶𝔢𝔰 ℑ'𝔩𝔩 𝔟𝔢 𝔟𝔶 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔰𝔦𝔡𝔢, 𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫 𝔦𝔣 ℑ 𝔡𝔦𝔢}

 𝔖𝔬 𝔩𝔬𝔬𝔨 𝔦𝔫 𝔪𝔶 𝔢𝔶𝔢𝔰 ℑ'𝔩𝔩 𝔟𝔢 𝔟𝔶 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔰𝔦𝔡𝔢, 𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫 𝔦𝔣 ℑ 𝔡𝔦𝔢}

Grayson was faced with a familiar roughish face staring blankly back at her. She looked conflicted almost like she couldn't believe what she was seeing. Ten-year-old Grayson was staring up at her with a look that almost made her blood run cold.

She recognized that expression. It was the same expression that she always made whenever she felt alone. Alone in the world with nobody there to catch her when she fell or to tell her off when she acted out.

At one point in her life, Grayson had wanted attention. She craved attention to the point where she began to depend on it like a drug. The Harrington's were always going around the world on long year trips to save their marriage. But even as an outsider looking in you could've seen them hanging on by a thread. That thread wasn't Steve or her but money. Money kept them together.

The truth was Mrs. Harrington didn't trust Mr. Harrington alone with his coworkers...especially his female coworkers. Right after Grayson witnessed him bring his assistant home when everyone was supposed to be away was the day where she had smoked her first cigarette. It quickly became an addiction. Not to mention how easy it was to get her hands on them. Steve had them laying around everywhere and by that I mean everywhere. Throughout the house every corner Grayson turned there they were, taunting her, waiting for the right moment to sneak up on her when her mental health began to slip. This wasn't an easy sight.

The scene began to change. Grayson watched as her younger self was replaced with herself from two years ago. The twelve-year-old brunette was sitting by the edge of a pool, breathing heavily as Tommy H and Carol sat behind her, urging her to do things she didn't want to do. Tommy had an almost sickening look on his face that made her stomach flip with fear. She wanted to puke, be anywhere but here where she felt pressured, anxious, and unsafe.

Older Grayson stared at the scene with shock. The color drained out of her face as her mouth ran dry. A pang of pain shot up her chest, engulfing her heart with a burning pain. She snapped her head to the right as her eyes landed on her brother taking Nancy inside the house with a stupid grin on his face. She never noticed how much of a jerk Steve was before they got along. It wasn't always the playful banter and heartfelt fights. They didn't always get along. It was so much darker than that.